short prose contest: Gulf Coast

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2012
      2012 Barthelme Prize for Short Prose
      Judged by Ander Monson
      Deadline: September 1

      http://www.gulfcoastmag.org/contests

      http://www.gulfcoastmag.org/submissions/
      Gulf Coast is now accepting entries for the 2012 Barthelme Prize for Short Prose. The contest is open to pieces of prose poetry, flash fiction, and micro-essays of 500 words or fewer. Established in 2008, the contest awards its winner $1,000 and publication in the journal. Two honorable mentions will also appear in issue 25.2, due out in April 2013, and all entries will be considered for paid publication on our website.

      This year’s contest will be judged by Ander Monson, the author of a number of paraphernalia, including a website, a decoder wheel, several chapbooks, as well as five books, most recently Vanishing Point: Not a Memoir (Graywolf Press, 2010) andThe Available World (Sarabande Books, 2010). He lives in Tucson where he teaches in the MFA program at the University of Arizona and edits the journal DIAGRAM and the New Michigan Press.

      Entries are due September 1, 2012.

      We will accept submissions both via our online submissions manager and via postal mail.

      Contest Guidelines for Online Submissions
      - Submissions accepted via Gulf Coast’s online submissions manager at
      http://www.gulfcoastmag.org/submissions/
      - Submit up to three pieces of short prose in a single .doc, .docx, .rtf, or .pdf file.
      - Only previously unpublished work will be considered.
      - The contest will be judged blindly, so please do not include your cover letter, your name, or any contact information in the uploaded document. This information should only be pasted in the “Comments” field.
      - After submitting your work you will be redirected to PayPal to authorize your $17 reading fee. You do not need a PayPal account to submit to the contest; PayPal accepts all major credit cards for payment. We will contact you if there are any issues with your payment.

      Contest Guidelines for Postal Mail Submissions
      - Only previously unpublished work will be considered.
      - Please address postal mail entries to:

      Gulf Coast
      ATTN: Barthelme Prize in Short Prose
      Department of English
      University of Houston
      Houston, TX 77204-3013

      - The contest will be judged blindly, so your contact information should appear only on your cover letter.
      - Please include your $17 reading fee, payable to “Gulf Coast.”