call for submissions: Journal of Compressed Creative Arts

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 13, 2012
      Please submit your work here: http://matter.submittable.com/submit

      The Journal of Compressed Creative Arts is currently open to poetry, prose fiction, and creative nonfiction submissions at this time. We publish (very) tiny, compressed prose creations of 600 words or fewer and poetry of 25 lines/75 words or fewer. We useSubmishmash for all submissions. We value form, character, and words that fit to both. Experimentation is interesting. Experimentation for the sake of appearing experimental is less interesting. We like close reading and close writing. We like to feel what we read before we understand. Again, submissions for poetry and prose are now open and will close again on August 15, 2012. We pay $50 per accepted piece.
      We are also currently looking for visual arts projects that incorporate the idea of compressed text into the work. We are especially interested in a series of visual arts pieces that can be published once a week over a period of a month or several months. We pay in the range of $50 – $100 for the rights to publish such a series. We might also be interested in purchasing the pieces outright. Please let us know in a cover letter if the pieces are available for purchase and the asking price. Please submit the visual arts series/project, if possible, as a single PDF document. If your project is chosen for publication, we will be requesting the individual files (.jpg or .tiff).

      For all submitters, we aren't as concerned with labels—hint fiction, prose poetry, micro fiction, flash fiction, and so on—as we are with what compression means to you. In other words, what form "compression" takes in each artist's work will be up to each individual. However, we don't publish erotica or work with strong, graphic sexual content.

      In short, we want to fall in love with your work. That might happen in the way we've fallen in love with work we've previously published, or it might happen in a way we have yet to experience. Maybe reading that other work will help in knowing whether you should send your work to us, but in truth, such a thing might not be discoverable.

      Here are things that matter:

      Please do not include any contact information, including your name, in the manuscript. Do not include a cover letter as part of the manuscript document.

      Please include a statement about compression as it relates to your submission as part of cover letter. Please include a brief bio, also.

      Please no more than one submission of a single piece in each genre per reading period.

      Simultaneous submissions are fine with us, but please let us know if the submission has been accepted elsewhere. Failure to do will result in some facsimile of your face being put on the Matter dart board. And no one wants that.

      Please format prose to be double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font, in a Microsoft Word document. Poetry can be single-spaced

      Please submit your work here: http://matter.submittable.com/submit