call for submissions: Composite

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2012
      Composite is a free quarterly, themed PDF journal of art and literature that exists somewhere between a literary magazine and an art gallery.
      We are currently accepting submissions of unpublished flash fiction or micro-essays under 1000 words, and short stories or creative non-fiction essays under 3000 words for our 7th issue, themed around maps, location, and place. It is titled "You Are Here."
      We are open to anything you'd like us to read, so long as it loosely fits somehow with the theme at hand. Take us to imagined worlds and places we've never been. Show us a culture we might not know, and transplant us to the world of the other. Let us see what it means to you, your characters, and the way you look at life and at art.
      The submission deadline for "You Are Here" is March 26, 2012.
      We only accept electronic submissions through submishmash. The link is as follows:

      http://composite.submishmash.com/Submit
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 18, 2012
        Composite is a free quarterly, themed PDF journal of art and literature that exists somewhere between a literary magazine and an art gallery.
        http://composite.submittable.com/submit

        We are currently accepting submissions of unpublished flash fiction or micro-essays under 1000 words, and short stories or creative non-fiction essays under 3000 words for our 9th issue, themed Function.

        In our homes, we hang art on walls or place it on bookshelves. But our personal statements as collectors and patrons are so much louder. We're constantly purchasing and supporting art, whether we realize it or not. The cookbook you read, the ceramic bowls you mix ingredients in, and the clothes you're hoping to protect. Even the food you prepare holds merit. Behind each of these items is a skilled and accomplished artist, author, or designer.

        This is not to say that "everything is art" however, quite the contrary. We purchase and use these objects because they have been intentionally created to serve a purpose and were successful in fulfilling said purpose. Gowns by Goethe have been in museums and artistic institutions for years now, but we still covet Eames' chairs as furniture, as product. No matter the prestige, its function defines its meaning.

        And still, traditional fine art and literature is not without purpose, and a product doesn't only have one, function based, meaning. Through re-appropriation, an item can lose any meeting it once had; a complete lack of function can bring an object back to its simplest stateĀ—an aesthetic catalyst to conversation.

        The submission deadline for Function is Monday August 20, 2012.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 15, 2013
          Composite {Arts Magazine} is now accepting submissions of fiction and creative nonfiction for its Spring and Summer 2013 issues, themed The Wild and Pattern respectively.

          The deadline for Spring 2013, The Wild is February 18, 2013. The deadline for Summer 2013, Pattern is May 20, 2013.

          Submission guidelines, along with the full theme statement, is available on our website:

          http://compositearts.com/submit