anthology seeks essays on Asian parenting

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2012
      Call for Submissions

      Tao of Parenthood: An Anthology of Essays
      There is no essential “Tao” or “way” of parenthood. Thisliterary anthology of personal essays by and about writers of Asian ancestrywill try to capture the multitude of perspectives on the impact of Asianculture, heritage, and identity on your experience as a child, on raisingchildren, or on deciding whether to have children.

      We are seeking men and women writers from various Asian cultureand perspectives to submit essays of all forms that explore and expand notionsof Asian family life. For this anthology “Asian” includes Asia,Southeast Asia, and South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal,Bhutan, Afghanistan, Maldives). We also welcome those who are not of Asiandescent, but are raising children of Asian descent.

      Tell us a unique, true story about growing up Asian or raisingAsian children. Interview your parent or child. Explore your views as a childor now as an adult. Our primary criterion is that the narrative be engaging,true, and well-written.

      Submission deadline is April 1, 2012.

      Email your 750-3000 word essay for consideration as a MicrosoftWord file (DOC, DOCX), PDF, or text file to <tao.parenthood(at)gmail.com> to along with a briefemail introducing yourself.

      Unpublished work is preferred, but your previously publishedwork is welcomed if rights have reverted back to you and you can supply a textfile. Expect a decision within 3 months of submission. Simultaneous submissionsaccepted.

      We do not have a publisher yet, but we are seeking publicationby April of 2014. At the very least, we will pursue print-on-demand and e-bookformat. We would like to pay our contributors, but at this point, this is avolunteer effort and we hope to raise enough money to offer contributor copies.

      Pleasecontact Anh Nguyen Merrick <anh.nguyen.merrick(at)gmail.com> (replace (at) with @ in sending e-mail) with questions. Visit http://taoparenthood.blogspot.com/ for more information.