call for submissions: qarrtsiluni

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7 10:44 AM
      The online literary magazine qarrtsiluni, now in its 7th year of
      operation, has just issued a call for submissions to an
      imitation-themed issue. The deadline is November 30.

      Theme description

      Imitation — that sincerest form! — is in art all too often maligned.
      “Better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation,” no less a
      writer than Melville once sneered. For Emerson, imitation was
      “suicide.” Especially since the Romantic revolt, writers and artists
      in the West have taken for granted that originality is the soul of

      Originality, though, is crippled without discipline, and imitation is
      an uncompromising practice. The Great Masters of the past knew this
      well, and would apprentice for years to gain fluency of form; the
      literature of earlier eras, too, was woven with both homage and
      parody. Poetry in particular has lent itself to the game: both John
      Keats and William Blake published "An Imitation of Spenser," while
      Spenser, in turn, openly mimicked a more antique verse. Robert
      Lowell’s "Imitations" is humbling in its breadth, and how many
      countless poets have affixed an italicized “after xx” beneath a title?

      We believe there’s plenty to be gained from reviving the imitative
      tradition — be it in jest, out of reverence, or somewhere in between —
      and so, for the next issue of qarrtsiluni, we’re asking you for your
      greatest imitations. Whether you’ve always dreamed of being Faulkner
      (or Milosz or O’Keefe or Banksy or Bresson), or just want to try your
      hand at highbrow fanfic, here’s your opportunity.

      Submissions will be evaluated not only on their own merits but by how
      well they evoke the style or approach of another. Though it’s up to
      you whether or how to acknowledge the model in the submission itself,
      we do ask that you spell it out in your cover letter. (Where
      appropriate, you might include a copy of the work being emulated — or

      Submission details

      Our limits this time are three poems, five images or videos, and/or
      1000 words of prose per submission. All submissions must go through
      the submissions manager (which also includes our general guidelines).
      If you’ve submitted to other publications that use this system,
      Submishmash, you’ll need to log in with the same username and
      password. Otherwise, you’ll create a new account as part of the
      submission process.

      As always, we consider contributions of nonfiction, poetry, short
      fiction, photographs, digitized artwork, short films, original musical
      compositions, spoken word recordings, translations and collaborative

      The editors

      Siona van Dijk is an entrepreneur, writer, and graduate student in
      Depth Psychology. Prior to qarrtsiluni, Siona has served on the
      editorial staff of The Amherst Review, Circus, and A Further Room. Her
      favorite mimic is the lyre bird.

      Dave Bonta handles most of the day-to-day operations at qarrtsiluni,
      but once a year he likes to don the hat of an issue editor, too.