short story contest: Ruminate

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 17, 2011
      RUMINATE Magazine is currently accepting entries for the 2012 William Van Dyke Short Story Prize. $1000 will be awarded to the winner and publication in the Spring 2012 Issue will be awarded to both the winning and runner-up stories. The winning story from the 2011 contest, selected by author Leif Enger, appears in Issue 19 of Ruminate. 2009's winning story, selected by author Bret Lott, was awarded a notable mention in the Best American Short Stories anthology. This year’s judge will be Walter Wangerin Jr.

      The entry fee is $15 and includes a free copy of the Spring 2012 Issue. You may submit one short story per contest entry and it must be 7000 words or less. There is no limit on the number of entries per person. To read the complete submission guidelines and to submit, please visit our website at
      http://www.ruminatemagazine.org/contests/short-story.html

      The deadline for submissions is midnight on October 25th, 2011.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2015
        https://ruminatemagazine.submittable.com/submit
        We invite you to enter the William Van Dyke Short Story Prize. We are pleased to announce that our Short Story Prize final judge will be our fiction editor, Amy Lowe.
        Submit to this contest at:
        https://ruminatemagazine.submittable.com/submit/8439
        As with all our submissions, we highly recommend reading a copy of the magazine to better understand what we are looking for. The 2015 winning story appears in Issue 34: Keeping Things Whole, the 2014 winning story appears in Issue 31: Always we begin again, the 2013 winning story appears in Issue 27: Glimpses, the 2012 winning story appears in Ruminate's Issue 23: The Stories We Tell
        Guidelines:
        • The submission deadline for the short story contest is midnight, August 10th, 2015.
        • The entry fee is $20 (includes a free copy of the Winter 2015/2016 Issue).
        • You may submit one story per contest entry fee and it must be 5500 words or less. There is no limit on the number of entries per person.
        • $1500 will be awarded to the winner and publication in the Winter 2015/2016 Issue. $200 will be awarded to the runner-up story and publication in the Winter 2015/2016 Issue.
        • A blind reading of all entries will be conducted by a panel of RUMINATE readers, who will select 10 short stories as finalists. The finalists will then be reviewed by our finalist judge.
        • Close friends and students (current & former) of the finalist judge are not eligible to compete. Nor are close friends or family of the Ruminate staff.
        • Winners will be announced in the Winter Issue, December 2015.
        • We will be notifying all entrants of submission status in mid-October, 2015.
        • Please remove your name, bio, and any contact info from the file that you submit.
        • We are sometimes asked if Ruminate is seeking or only accepts "Christian" or "spiritual" stories. The answer to that question is no. We are looking for good stories, and there are no restrictions on the subject matter or content for submissions. The best way to understand the work we publish is to read a past issue.
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2015
          We invite you to enter the William Van Dyke Short Story Prize. We are pleased to announce that our Short Story Prize final judge will be our fiction editor, Amy Lowe.
          https://ruminatemagazine.submittable.com/submit
          Enter at
          https://ruminatemagazine.submittable.com/submit/8439

          As with all our submissions, we highly recommend reading a copy of the magazine to better understand what we are looking for. The 2015 winning story appears in Issue 34: Keeping Things Whole, the 2014 winning story appears in Issue 31: Always we begin again, the 2013 winning story appears in Issue 27: Glimpses, the 2012 winning story appears in Ruminate's Issue 23: The Stories We Tell. We offer all of these in a PDF format for $5 each. We also offer a discounted bundle of past print issues featuring the William Van Dyke Short Story Prize.
          Guidelines:
          • The submission deadline for the short story contest has been extended to midnight, August 10th, 2015.