reading submissions and poetry/fiction contests: Broad River Review

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2011
      The Broad River Review is pleased to announce the reading period for Volume 44, which will appear in the spring of 2012. The Broad River Review welcomes submissions of original poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction, and we also encourage visual artists to submit samples for possible cover art. Our submission period is
      August 1 – November 1, 2011

      Poetry submissions are restricted to five poems, with no more ten pages total per submission. Fiction and nonfiction submissions must be no more than 5,000 words. All submissions must be typed. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable if our editors are notified immediately that the work has been accepted elsewhere.

      General submissions should include a cover letter with contact information and a brief biographical sketch. General submissions may be submitted electronically via email as a Microsoft Word attachment (.doc, docx, .rtf, or .txt) to
      <broadriverreview(at)gardner-webb.edu> (replace (at) with @ in sending e-mail)
      , which is preferred over regular mail submission. Submissions by regular mail should be sent to the address listed for the contest below, labeled as “General Submission.”

      For more information, please visit our website,

      www.broadriverreview.org

      The Broad River Review is pleased to announce our contests, The Rash Awards, which offer $500 first prizes in both Fictionand Poetry. Silas House will judge the Fiction Award, while Cathy Smith Bowers will judge the Poetry Award. The Rash Awards contest submission period is August 1 – November 1, 2011
      Poetry contest submissions are restricted to five poems, with no more ten pages total per submission. Fiction contestsubmissions must be no more than 5,000 words. All submissions must be typed.
      Contest submissions must be accompanied by an entry fee of $15 (U.S), payable by check or money order to the Broad River Review. If no contest fee is included, the entry will be considered instead as a general submission. All contest entrants will receive a copy of the 2012 issue to be released in lateSpring 2012. Writers may submit multiple times in one or both genres, but each submission must include the required $15 entry fee. Previously published poems and short stories, including web publications, are not allowed. For contest entries, please send a cover letter with complete contact information, a short biographical entry, and title(s) of your work. However, please do NOT include your name on your contest submission, as the contest judging is done anonymously. All manuscripts will be recycled after publication of the 2012 issue. Mark contest submission as “Poetry Contest” or “Fiction Contest” and mail to the following address:
      The Rash Awards
      c/o The Broad River Review
      P.O. Box 7224
      Gardner-Webb University
      Boiling Springs, NC 28017

      For a complete listing of the Official Contest Rules, pleasecontact the editors at
      <broadriverreview(at)gardner-webb.edu> (replace (at) with @ in sending e-mail)
      or visit our web site at www.broaddriverreview.org