call for submissions: Whistling Fire

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2011
      Whistling Fire is please to announce our November Guest Editor is Albert Abonado
      Submission Deadline: October 23rd

      Dear Writers,

      The commonly held perception of the writer is that of the soloist, operating in isolation, probably dressed in black with a bottle of whiskey within arm’s reach. The act of writing is often perceived at its most romantic a pursuit often done best in solitude so that a person can assert one’s independent voice. But the truth for me is that writing is as much a social act as it is an individual one, a product of our myriad influences, from stock market crashes to the song a father sings to his daughter to an ant floating on a leaf in a puddle. What about those writers who take this notion of writing as a social act one step further, who choose instead to emphasize a sense of community and eschew this tradition of individuality by working collaboratively with others to produce a poem? The Surrealists are famous for employing this tactic, but other, more contemporary examples exist: Denise Duhamel and Maureen Seaton, John Gallaher and G.C. Waldrep.

      Ms. Duhamel talks about a “ third voice, a voice that is neither Maureen's nor mine, but rather some poetic hybrid.” This month I’m interested in poetry written by two or more authors. No particular theme required. Send me poems that neither you nor your co-author(s) can claim as being wholly your own, but instead appears to exist outside of you—a mysterious, strangely cohesive, other voice that contains its own sensibilities. I’m open to any subject. So pass the bottle of whiskey around to your friends and let’s see what happens.

      Good Luck!
      Albert Abonado

      Rules: Accepting poetry ONLY! Please send your submissions to
      <whistlingfire(at)gmail.com> (replace (at) with @ in sending e-mail)
      whistlingfire@.... Please include the words “November Editor” in your subject line. No more than five submission per writing duo or group, individuals can submit multiple times with different writing partners. Must be sent as an attachment (MS WORD preferred). Simultaneous submissions accepted. Previously published work is also allowed as long as the author retains the rights. Please include a short third person bio for each author. Submissions Close: October 23rd

      About the Editor: Albert Abonado lives in Rochester, NY, the 10th smartest city in the US with his wife who is unhappy with the fact that he is allergic to cats. He is the Associate Director of Marketing and Production for BOA Editions. He holds an MFA from the Bennington Writing Seminars and has been nominated for a Pushcart Prize. His poetry has appeared or is forthcoming in Guernica, Rattle, Anti-, Gargoyle, Washington Square, New Ohio Review, No Tell Motel, and The Collagist.

      Submissions are still open for our October Guest Editor who will be accepting nonfiction until September 25th. To find out more about both Guest Editors please visit www.whistlingfire.com