call for submissions: Souwester

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2011
      SOU’WESTER, a literary journal founded in 1960 and housed at Southern Illinois
      University Edwardsville, will be devoting our next special issue (Spring 2012)
      to the weather. Weather is quite a celebrity, after all – grabbing the headlines
      when it’s feeling particularly unruly or whimsical. Weather has its own TV
      station and its own dot.com. In the Midwest we talk about the weather with
      noteworthy frequency and ardor. Yet some days, the weather is diffident, serving
      as little more than a decorative (or not) backdrop of banal clouds and sky. But
      it is always there.

      As editors, we anticipate seeing different sorts of weather portrayed (bucolic
      spring days, dark and stormy nights, etc.). But we’re hoping for variety in the
      broadest sense. That is, we hope to be surprised by the many ways (subtle to
      profound) in which weather has informed, inspired, or rained on your poetry,
      prose, and uncategorizable written works.

      Our general submission guidelines apply. Please limit your submission to a
      maximum of five poems or one prose piece at a time (under 8,000 words
      preferably). We will also consider a suite of two or three flash fictions.

      We will read for the Weather issue until it is filled. Please check our website
      for updates. We are also still accepting general submissions for the Fall 2011
      issue; we expect to close this reading period sometime in October. Again, please
      check for updates before submitting.

      SOU’WESTER only accepts submissions through our online submission manager. When
      you submit, please identify whether the submission is for the Fall general issue
      or the Spring special issue on weather.

      http://www.souwester.org