call for submissions: Asymptote

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2011
      Announcing: ASYMPTOTE's Mega Summer Issue and Call for Submissions

      ASYMPTOTE is an exciting new international journal of literature, gathering in one place the best in contemporary literature. In our 3 issues we have featured Mary Gaitskill, Thomas Bernhard, Sven Birkerts, Tomaž Šalamun, Shen Congwen, Robert Walser, Ingrid Winterbach, Aimé Césaire, Cavafy, Adonis, Ko Un, Pura López-Colomé, Quim Monzó, Forrest Gander, Rika Lesser and Sidney Wade among the 150 over writers and translators working in 33 different languages.

      All our content is available free online at our aesthetically exciting website, where we post not only the translated texts, but also, when available, the works in their original languages, audio recordings of those originals, and accompanying artwork specially curated for each issue.

      Our mega summer issue--featuring our largest and boldest lineup ever(where we publish for the first time work from the Sanskrit, Vietnamese, Thai, Arabic, Urdu, Catalan, Sinhi, Slovenian and Yiddish)--can be accessed by clicking here:

      http://asymptotejournal.com

      Please like and follow our magazine
      on Facebook.

      You may also wish to tweet and reblog us at our Twitter and Tumblr accounts!

      To join our mailing list, click on Subscribe to Mailing List at the bottom of our website.

      HOW TO SUBMIT

      If you'd like to contribute to our October issue (We are interested in new writers as well as established ones), please see our full submission guidelines here:

      http://asymptotejournal.com/submit.php

      The deadline for submissions our next issue is 15 August 2011. Inquire at <editors(at)asymptotejournal.com> (replace (at) with in sending e-mail)
      if you have something for us but need extra time.

      Note:

      We don't only feature translations. We take original English-language critical essays and book reviews in the Criticism section.

      Also: take note of the call for submissions for our Special Feature section, open to the writers among us who are not translators where:

      As always, we invite essays (written in English, passionately, in less than 1500 words) about a relatively unknown author writing in a language other than English (in any genre) that deserves more attention from the English-speaking world.

      For the upcoming issue only, we also invite submissions of English-language original poetry that are retellings or appropriations, those poems that are written after Cavafy, after John Donne etc.

      If you like what we do, please spread the word. We really need our supporters to get the word out of our very young journal. Thank you!

      The Asymptote team

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2012
        call for submissions: Asymptote--global literature

        As written up in the Jan/February 2012 issue of Poets and Writers Magazine: The year-old online journal Asymptote, produced by a far-flung team of editors, has featured work from authors and translators drawn from almost fifty countries and working in upward of forty languages, from Arabic to Burmese to Catalan. In addition to translations, the magazine publishes work in its original language, sometimes with accompanying audio. The January 2012 issue presents literature from Indonesia, Sweden, and elsewhere, including an excerpt of a novel by the late Polish writer Bruno Jasienski, a leader of the Polish futurist movement. For the April issue, Asymptote is seeking submissions of English-language fiction themed on “the unsaid.”

        Past contributors to Asymptote have included Lydia Davis, Mary Gaitskill and David Shields.

        Access to our website, available for free, is at http://asymptotejournal.com

        Please support our magazine at our Facebook page here:
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Asymptote/110342239032059

        To join our mailing list, click on "Subscribe to Mailing List" at the bottom of our website.

        If you'd like to contribute to our April 2012 issue (We are very much interested in emerging writers too), please see our full submission
        guidelines here:

        http://asymptotejournal.com/submit.php

        DEADLINE: 15 February 2012. Query us directly if you think you might have something, but need more time.

        Inquire at <editors(at)asymptotejournal.com> (replace (at) with @ when sending e-mail)

        Not only do we take translations of fiction, nonfiction, poetry and drama, we also take original English-language critical essays and book reviews in the Criticism section, as well as interviews. Take note of the permanent call for submissions
        for our Special Feature section, open to the writers among us who are not translators:

        We invite essays (written in English, passionately, in less than 1500 words) about a relatively unknown author writing in a language other than English (in any genre) that deserves more attention from the
        English-speaking world.

        For our April 2012 issue only:

        We are also looking for original English short stories or excerpts from longer work (maximum 5000 words), centering on "the unsaid".

        If you like what we do, please spread the word.

        Thank you in advance for your support, and we look forward to reading your submissions!

        The Asymptote team