call for submissions: The Whistling Fire

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2011
      The Whistling Fire is proud to announce our October Guest Editor is Rick Marlatt.
      Submission Deadline September 25th

      Dear Writers,
      Since time began, humans have been fascinated with their origins-ancestral, geographical, spiritual, social, cultural, and on and on. Who we are and where we come from. These are questions we still pursue today, and we are still creatures as captivating and complex as ever, capable of the kind, the wicked, and everything in between. I know. I am one of them; like you, defined by my origins.

      What are the origins of your fears, dreams, regrets, triumphs, and personalities? Where do the crazy things you do and say come from, and how does it define you? What are the origins of your love, mistakes, faiths, memories, and angers? I want your personal stories and essays that illuminate what is dark and mysterious. Carve me out a tale that opens you up from the inside.

      I’m accepting only nonfiction, including creative nonfiction. Memoirs, essays, personal stories are all welcome. Be creative. Be unforgettable. Make me laugh, cry, remember, and hope. Above all, send me your best work.

      -Rick Marlatt

      Rules: Accepting nonfiction ONLY! Memoirs, personal essays, etc. No more than 3000 words. Please send your submissions to

      <whistlingfire(at)gmail.com> (replace (at) with @ in sending e-mail). Please include the words “October Editor” in your subject line. No more than two submission per author. Must be sent as an attachment (MS WORD preferred). Simultaneous submissions accepted. Previously published work is also allowed as long as the author retains the rights. Please include a short third person bio for our contributor’s page. Submissions Close: September 25th

      About the Editor: Rick Marlatt has complicated origins. He is a teacher, poet, screenwriter, and writer of literary criticism. He studied Philosophy and English at the University of Nebraska at Kearney, where he also earned a MA in Creative Writing. Marlatt holds a MFA from the University of California, Riverside, where he served as poetry editor of The Coachella Review. Marlatt’s first book, How We Fall Apart, was the winner of the 2010 Seven Circle Press poetry chapbook award. His work has appeared widely in print and online publications including New York Quarterly, Rattle, and Anti, and elsewhere. Most recently, Marlatt’s work has been featured in Midway, New Verse News, and Dark Sky, and is forthcoming in Prime Mincer, Organs of Vision, Handful of Dust, and elsewhere. Marlatt writes poetry reviews for Coldfront Magazine, and he teaches English in Nebraska, where he lives with his wife and two sons. Read more at www.rickmarlatt.com.

      Also our September Guest Editor will be accepting nonfiction submission about mothers until August 21st. Find out more about both editors' themes at www.whistlingfire.com

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 2011
        The Whistling Fire is currently accepting submissions for our December and January Guest Editors.

        For the first time ever The Whistling Fire will be accepting screen plays! Our January Guest Editor Jeff Wood is currently accepting shorts, 5-8 minutes/pages long. Submission Deadline December 26th.

        Our December Guest Editor A.E Stueve is still accepting Steampunk fiction and poetry until November 26th.

        Our Guest Editors top selections will be published on The Whistling Fire during their Guest Editor Month. Get your submissions in before time runs out. To find out more about both Guest Editors and their themes, please visit our Guest Editor page at www.whistlingfire.com. Please read rules and descriptions carefully. All submissions should be sent to <whistlingfire(at)gmail.com> (replace (at) with @ in sending e-mail)
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 30, 2012
          The Whistling Fire is proud to announce our March Guest Editor is Orlando Ramirez
          Submission Deadline February 25th

          Dear Writers,

          Poetry – the best poetry – confronts that line, erases it, ignores it, smudges it with a little spit on the tip of the finger to blur the before into the after.

          I am looking for poems that cross lines, whether it be the double-yellow line on a two-lane road; the wouldcouldshoulda chain of regret; the poetic line and its break; the line between English/Espanol; the fungible line between male, female and whatever other classifications we create. Send poems that cross that line and be prepared to discuss the consequences. Any style. In English and Espanol. Remember -- boundaries are of your own making.

          Good Luck,

          Orlando Ramirez

          Rules: Accepting poetry only. Please send your submissions to
          <whistlingfire(at)gmail.com> (replace (at) with @ in sending email). Please include the words “March Editor” in your subject line. No more than four poems per author. Must be sent as an attachment (MS WORD preferred). Simultaneous submissions accepted. Previously published work is also allowed as long as the author retains the rights. Please include a short third person bio for our contributor’s page. Submissions Close: February 25th.
          About the Editor: Orlando Ramirez lives in Riverside, California, where is the editor of La Prensa, a Spanish-language newspaper. He recently received an MFA in Poetry from the Cal State University, San Bernardino, Creative Writing Program. He was one of the original editors of Mango Publications, and has been anthologized widely and published in Zzyva, Berkeley Poetry Review, Badlands and other journals.
          To find out more about our Guest Editor months or for general submission guidelines please go to www.whistlingfire.com
          Please note submission requirements for Guest Editors may vary from general submissions.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 11 8:20 PM
            We are happy to announce our May Guest Editor is Massiel Ladrón De Guevara
            Submission Deadline April 21st

            Dear Writers,

            Truth is defined by people’s perception, which means that what is true for one person is not necessarily true for the other. The beauty of writing is that truth is irrelevant. It doesn’t matter if you really spent the summer in Thailand fishing with locals or the spring kayaking in Alaska. What matters is your ability to capture the human experience and to connect with others through it.

            I am interested in reading about your truths, real or imagined. Don’t limit yourself to actual events and don’t be afraid to move from one experience/feeling to the other. Make me feel connected to you through the human experience. I want to be completely submerged in your world and to be able to feel, hear and see everything you write.

            Best of Luck,

            Massiel Ladrón De Guevara
            Guest Editor

            Rules: Accepting fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. Please send your submissions to
            <whistlingfire(at)gmail.com> (replace (at) with @)
            whistlingfire@...

            Please include the words “May Editor” in your subject line. No more than two submissions per author, work must be under 3000 words. Must be sent as an attachment (MS WORD preferred). Simultaneous submissions accepted. Previously published work is also allowed as long as the author retains the rights. Please include a short third person bio for our contributor’s page. Submissions Close: April 21st.