call for submissions: Whistling Fire

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2011
      The Whistling Fire is proud to announce our September Guest Editor is
      Stacy Furrer.
      Submission Deadline August 21st
      Dear Writers,

      I am fascinated by family dynamics, particularly those that operate
      between mother and child. My relationships with both my mother and my
      stepmother were complicated and inexplicable, but if you were to
      witness a few exchanges between us, you would understand why each made
      me nuts in her own special way.

      I am looking for personal stories which illustrate the inexplicable.
      Show me who your mother is by sharing a story in which your family
      dynamics shine through. The story need not be limited to exchanges
      between your mother and yourself—there are others in your family who
      contribute to the crazy.

      I am not looking for Chicken Soup tales. I want the gritty truth, told
      in such a way that I am there, a fly on the wall.

      Show me your mother.

      Stacy Furrer

      Rules: Accepting nonfiction ONLY! Memoirs, personal essays, etc. No
      fiction, poetry, or plays (we don’t publish plays). No more than 3000
      words. Please send your submissions to
      <whistlingfire(at)gmail.com>
      (replace (at) with @ in sending e-mail). Please include the words
      “September Editor” in your subject line. No more than two submission
      per author. Must be sent as an attachment (MS WORD preferred).
      Simultaneous submissions accepted. Previously published work is also
      allowed as long as the author retains the rights. Please include a
      short third person bio for our contributor’s page. Submissions Close:
      August 21st
      About the Editor:Stacy Furrer lives in southern California, where she
      is working on two books, a memoir, and a steamy romantic suspense
      novel. A member of Romance Writers of America, she meets every Sunday
      at the local Starbucks with her critique partner to exchange ideas, get
      feedback, and get her caffeine fix. They are currently in the planning
      stages of starting a new RWA chapter in the Imperial Valley.
      Stacy is a graduate of the low-residency Master’s program at UCR’s Palm
      Desert campus. An excerpt from her memoir, Black Sheep Sings, was the
      first nonfiction published by The Whistling Fire and is the most viewed
      piece in Whistling Fire history. Find out more about Stacy at
      http://onegirlriot.wordpress.com/

      There is still time to submit to our August Guest Editor, who will be
      accepting fiction until July 23rd. To find out more about both Guest
      Editor months please visit whistlingfire.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 31, 2011
        Whistling Fire is please to announce our November Guest Editor is Albert Abonado
        Submission Deadline: October 23rd

        Dear Writers,

        The commonly held perception of the writer is that of the soloist, operating in isolation, probably dressed in black with a bottle of whiskey within arm’s reach. The act of writing is often perceived at its most romantic a pursuit often done best in solitude so that a person can assert one’s independent voice. But the truth for me is that writing is as much a social act as it is an individual one, a product of our myriad influences, from stock market crashes to the song a father sings to his daughter to an ant floating on a leaf in a puddle. What about those writers who take this notion of writing as a social act one step further, who choose instead to emphasize a sense of community and eschew this tradition of individuality by working collaboratively with others to produce a poem? The Surrealists are famous for employing this tactic, but other, more contemporary examples exist: Denise Duhamel and Maureen Seaton, John Gallaher and G.C. Waldrep.

        Ms. Duhamel talks about a “ third voice, a voice that is neither Maureen's nor mine, but rather some poetic hybrid.” This month I’m interested in poetry written by two or more authors. No particular theme required. Send me poems that neither you nor your co-author(s) can claim as being wholly your own, but instead appears to exist outside of you—a mysterious, strangely cohesive, other voice that contains its own sensibilities. I’m open to any subject. So pass the bottle of whiskey around to your friends and let’s see what happens.

        Good Luck!
        Albert Abonado

        Rules: Accepting poetry ONLY! Please send your submissions to
        <whistlingfire(at)gmail.com> (replace (at) with @ in sending e-mail)
        whistlingfire@.... Please include the words “November Editor” in your subject line. No more than five submission per writing duo or group, individuals can submit multiple times with different writing partners. Must be sent as an attachment (MS WORD preferred). Simultaneous submissions accepted. Previously published work is also allowed as long as the author retains the rights. Please include a short third person bio for each author. Submissions Close: October 23rd

        About the Editor: Albert Abonado lives in Rochester, NY, the 10th smartest city in the US with his wife who is unhappy with the fact that he is allergic to cats. He is the Associate Director of Marketing and Production for BOA Editions. He holds an MFA from the Bennington Writing Seminars and has been nominated for a Pushcart Prize. His poetry has appeared or is forthcoming in Guernica, Rattle, Anti-, Gargoyle, Washington Square, New Ohio Review, No Tell Motel, and The Collagist.

        Submissions are still open for our October Guest Editor who will be accepting nonfiction until September 25th. To find out more about both Guest Editors please visit www.whistlingfire.com