call for submissions: Spittoon

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
      Searching for experimental fiction for our second issue, as well as
      submissions to our new category: creative nonfiction.

      Spittoon is an independent contemporary literary zine dedicated to the
      publication of quality contemporary poetry, creative nonfiction and
      fiction. This
      publication will publish work by poets and writers, both well known and
      up-and-coming. Our only goal is to feature excellent work, so there
      are no form or content restrictions; however, we will never publish
      "cookie cutter" writers (you know who you are). We want original work
      that affects the reader in a physical and emotional way. To us, the
      form is as important as the content and they should both work together
      to develop the intended effect.

      Guidelines:
      Spittoon accepts submissions year-round. Response times will vary, but
      they are generally between 3 to 5 months.

      No previously published work.
      Simultaneous submissions okay.
      Do not submit to Spittoon more than once at a time; please wait for
      response before submitting again.
      No photographs or clip art should be in any of the files; we should
      only see words on the page, unless the visuals are actually part of the
      piece and used to help the piece achieve its intended effect.
      Upon publication, Spittoon claims First Rights; after publication, all
      rights revert to the author, with the understanding that Spittoon will
      receive credit if the piece is published elsewhere.
      Please read our mission to better understand the kind of work we want
      before submitting.
      Include a short bio / cover letter.
      Any submission that does not follow the guidelines will be deleted.

      Poetry

      Submit up to 5 poems at a time. No length requirement. All should be
      saved in a single .pdf, .doc, or .rtf document, with author's
      identifying information at the top of the first page. For poems that
      are more than one page, indicate page number with last name and poem
      title at the top of each page.

      To submit via postal (snail) mail, include a cover letter with bio and
      an SASE. Send to:
      Spittoon
      Poetry Editor
      725 S. Taft Hill Rd.
      Fort Collins, CO 80521

      Fiction

      Submit a single piece (up to 5,000 words) or up to three short-shorts.
      All should be saved in a single .pdf, .doc, or .rtf document, with
      author's identifying information at the top left of first page, and
      author last name with title and page number at the top of each
      additional page.All text should be double-spaced in size 12 font.

      To submit via postal (snail) mail, include a cover letter with bio and
      an SASE. Send to:
      Spittoon
      Fiction Editor
      725 S. Taft Hill Rd.
      Fort Collins, CO 80521
      Creative Nonfiction
      Creative nonfiction submissions should feature elements of
      storytelling, and may include narrative essays, memoir, lyric essays,
      etc. But please, only submit stories that represent the truth, of the
      factual and the universal sort. One complete work at a time, no more
      than 5,000 words, saved in a .pdf, .doc, or .rtf document, with
      author's information on the first page.

      The creative nonfiction editor has a habit of neglecting her postal
      mail for weeks at a time, so please, only electronic (via submishmash)
      creative nonfiction submissions.

      For more information or to contact the editor, email
      <spittoonmag(at)gmail.com> (replace (at) with @ in sending e-mail) or
      visit www.spittoonmag.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 25, 2012
        Currently in need of knock-our-socks-off creative nonfiction, though poetry and fiction are also open to submissions. As always, we are especially interested in genre-benders and other work of an experimental nature.

        In the very near future, we will also be publishing book reviews; if you are a reviewer interested in writing for us, or if you are a publisher or author who would like to submit a book for review, see the "Reviews: Publishers & Authors" link on our website for more information.

        Spittoon is an independent online literary quarterly, dedicated to the publication of quality contemporary and experimental poetry, creative nonfiction and fiction. We feature work by poets and writers, both well-known and up-and-coming. Our only goal is to publish excellent work, so there are no form or content restrictions; however, we will never accept "cookie-cutter" writers (if you have to ask what a "cookie-cutter writer" is, you probably are one). We seek original work that affects the reader in a physical and emotional way. To us, the form is as important as the content, and both form and content should work together to develop the intended effect.

        General Guidelines:

        Please see our website for specific submission guidelines: www.spittoonmag.com