call for submissions: Specter

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2011
      The co-founders of Specter Magazine are proud to announce our
      inaugural issue slated for October 2011.

      Specter Magazine publishes monthly and, for now, accepts submissions
      on a rolling basis.

      Submissions must reflect a strong command of literary craft. Prior
      education and/or publication experience is not a determining factor
      for acceptance.

      Beyond reading and adhering to our submission guidelines, our advice
      to writers is this: don’t bother worrying about the editors’ literary
      tastes. Submit your best, most polished work and we will give it a
      fair shake.

      You may submit using the following link:

      http://spectermagazine.submishmash.com/Submit

      About Specter
      Our mission is to publish poetry & fiction rooted
      in the generations of the 1980s and forward. What does that mean?

      We’re not dismissive of decades’ past; it’s a cliche, but true
      nonetheless:
      those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

      That said, Specter is more interested in the present.

      The founders of Specter are children of the 1980s. According to
      marketing firms, we’re members of Generation Y.

      We’re dismissed as frightened, passive, coddled individuals–spoiled
      rotten by our parents–who believe the world should cater to us. We’re
      dreamers. Unrealistic. Lost.

      And–the founders of Specter neither confirm nor deny these labels.
      Rather, we want explanation, analysis, understanding.

      To be clear, our submission guidelines aren’t age-specific. We’ll take
      work from all walks of life.

      What matters to us is the modern experience, literature which delves
      into our generation: 80s babies; 90s toddlers; millennial teenagers.

      Hot-button topics are fine, but think about more than abortion rights
      or technology’s impact on society.

      If our generation is so different from our parents and grandparents,
      then what does it mean to: love today; raise children today; keep
      religious faith today?

      The work some might consider “navel-gazing” and “postmodern” and
      “boring?”
      We want that work.

      Writers who believe literature can reveal and–dare I say–save the world?
      We want those writers. Badly.

      We
      want
      dreamers.