true crime essays wanted: Creative Nonfiction

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2011
      ********
      TRUE CRIME
      postmark deadline: September 30, 2011

      For an upcoming issue, Creative Nonfiction is seeking new essays about true crime--detailed reports of premeditation, follow-through and aftermath, whether gleaned from police blotters or the news, passed down as small-town legend or family lore, or committed in cold blood.

      We want true stories of petty theft, identity theft, embezzlement, or first-degree murder; of jaywalking, selling (or maybe buying) drugs, or assault; of crimes and punishments and unsolved mysteries. Think "The Devil in the White City" (Larson), "In Cold Blood" (Capote) and "Iphigenia in Forest Hills" (Malcolm); or "Half a Life" (Strauss), "Lucky" (Sebold) and "The Night of the Gun" (Carr). If it's against the law and someone--maybe even you!--did it anyway, we want to know all about it.

      We're looking for well-written prose, rich with detail and a distinctive voice. Essays can be serious, humorous or somewhere in between. Creative Nonfiction editors will award $1000 for Best Essay.

      Submission guidelines: essays must be unpublished, 4,000 words maximum, postmarked by September 30, 2011, and clearly marked "True Crime" on both the essay and the outside of the envelope. There is a $20 reading fee (or send a reading fee of $25 to include a 4-issue CNF subscription--U.S. submitters only); multiple entries are welcome ($20/essay) as are entries from outside the U.S. (though due to shipping costs, the subscription deal is not valid). Please send manuscript, accompanied by a cover letter with complete contact information including the title of the essay, word count, SASE and payment to:

      Creative Nonfiction
      Attn: True Crime
      5501 Walnut Street, Suite 202
      Pittsburgh, PA 15232