poetry/fiction/nonfiction contest: Terrain.org

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2011
      Terrain.org is pleased to announce our second annual contests in:
      Poetry, judged by Alison Hawthorne Deming, author of Rope, Genius Loci, The Monarchs: A Poem Sequence, and Science and Other Poems, and professor of creative writing at the University of Arizona
      Fiction, judged by Andrew Wingfield, author of Right of Way and Hear Him Roar, and Director of Environmental & Sustainability Studies at George Mason University
      Nonfiction, judged by Elizabeth Dodd, author of In the Mind's Eye: Essays Across the Animate World and Prospect: Journeys & Landscapes, and University Distinguished Professor at Kansas State University

      Contest Details
      Theme and Submission Period
      The contest theme is "Image," to match our 28th issue, which launches in mid-September 2011. Though the contest and issue have a theme, we have a very liberal perspective on the theme and encourage you first and foremost to submit your best work.
      The contest submission deadline is August 1, 2011. Winners will be announced on or before September 1, 2011.
      Prizes
      A prize of $250 plus publication for the first-place winner will be awarded in each genre. Runners up in each genre will also receive publication.
      Additionally, each first-place winner may receive special, dynamic publication treatment in Issue No. 28. The editors will work with the contest winners to determine the best layout treatment, which is likely to include additional graphics, audio, and enhanced HTML treatment. View the inaugural contest winners appearing in Issue No. 26 in fiction and poetry for examples.
      Note that we reserve the right to reduce or cancel the contest if we do not receive enough submissions.
      Selection Process
      All submissions are considered for publication. Terrain.org's editors will read all entries, passing the top entries in each genre to the judges, who will choose the first-, second-, and third-place winners. Decisions of the judges are final. Judges will not know the identity of the contestants.
      All contestants will be notified of the judges' decisions on or before September 1, 2011.

      How to Submit
      You are not eligible to enter this contest if you are family or close friends of, or have studied with or under any of Terrain.org's primary editors — Stephanie Eve Boone, Simmons Buntin, Patrick Burns, Catherine Cunningham, and Joshua Foster — or the contest judges: Alison Hawthorne Deming, Andrew Wingfield, and Elizabeth Dodd.
      Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but previously published material in any format, including blogs, will not be considered. Submissions can be withdrawn through the submission system, though in that case contest entry fees will not be refunded.
      Cost
      The cost to submit is $10 per story, essay, or set of 3-5 poems.
      What to Submit
      You may submit up to three entries in any or all genres:
      Poetry
      Submit 3-5 poems, or one or long poem (5+ pages), per entry. Combine all poems into a single document. For poetry, we are seeking not just the best poem, but the best set of 3-5 poems or the best long poem, with the hopes of awarding our prizes to poetry sets rather than individual, shorter poems, when possible. No maximum lines per poem. Poems must contain only the poem title(s) and poem(s) without the author name or contact information.
      Fiction
      Submit one story, up to 7,000 words total, per entry. Stories must contain only the story title and story itself without the author name or contact information.
      Nonfiction
      Submit one essay, up to 7,000 words total, per entry. Essays must contain only the essay title and essay itself without the author name or contact information. We will consider all nonfiction, but are most interested in creative nonfiction, including personal essays, lyric essays, memoir, and other literary forms.
      Cover Letter Required
      Each submission must include a cover letter with the author's name and contact information — including email, telephone, and mailing address — and the name(s) of the poems, story, and/or essay.
      The Submission Process
      Please save your cover letter and submission for each entry as a single document — .doc, .docx, .rtf, .wpd, .txt, or .pdf only.
      Submit online at http://sub.terrain.org If you have submitted to Terrain.org before, log in to submit. If you have not submitted before, you must register.
      Choose the "Contest" genre category and in the Comments area, type the genre of your submission: Poetry, Fiction, or Nonfiction
      Once you confirm your submission, you will be directed to a page with payment instructions (via Paypal). Instructions for mailing a check in lieu of paying online are also provided.
      No submission will be considered until payment has been received.
      You will receive submission and payment confirmation via email.

      Submit Now!
      Ready to submit? Submit online at:
      Terrain.org Submission Manager -
      http://sub.terrain.org
      Thanks very much, and we look forward to reviewing your contest submission!