poetry contest: North American Review

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2007
      North American Review's seventh annual
      JAMES HEARST POETRY PRIZE

      Deadline: October 31, 2007
      Judge: Molly Peacock
      First Prize:         $1000
      Second Prize:    $100
      Third Prize:       $50
      Winners and finalists will be published in the magazine.

      Entry fee: $18.00 (includes one-year subscription) Make check or money
      order out to North American Review. If you are outside the US, please
      make sure your entry fee is in US currency and routed through a US bank.

      Two copies of up to five previously unpublished poems. No names on
      manuscripts, please. Your poems will be assigned log numbers so they can
      be "read blind." Include required cover sheet (see:
      <http://webdelsol.com/NorthAmReview/NAR>). Simultaneous submission to
      other journals or competitions is not allowed. Poems will not be
      returned, so please do not send an SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope).

      To receive acknowledgment of receipt, please include a self-addressed
      stamped postcard. If you wish to receive the list of winners, please
      enclose a business-size SASE. If you would prefer to receive
      acknowledgment of receipt and the list of winners by e-mail, please let
      us know on the cover sheet. Winners will also be announced in the
      writers' trade magazines and on our website at
      <http://webdelsol.com/NorthAmReview/NAR>.

      Tips: We have noticed that long poems rarely do well-too much can go
      wrong in a large space. Poems that have reached the finalist stage in
      our competition in the past are typically one to two pages. Winning
      poems always balance interesting subject matter and consummate poetic
      craft. We value both free verse and formal poems in rhyme and meter-both
      open and closed forms.

      Submit to:
      James Hearst Poetry Prize
      North American Review (CRWOPPS)
      University of Northern Iowa
      1222 West 27th Street
      Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0516   USA

      JAMES HEARST was a well-known "farmer-poet." Before his death in 1983,
      he published numerous poems and books and taught poetry writing at the
      University of Northern Iowa. Hearst's collected poems were published in
      2001 by the University of Iowa Press.

      MOLLY PEACOCK is the author of five books of poetry, including
      Cornucopia: New & Selected Poems (Norton). Among her other works are How
      To Read A Poem and Start A Poetry Circle and the co-editor of Poetry in
      Motion: One Hundred Poems from the Subways and Buses.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 22, 2013
        James Hearst Poetry Prize
        https://northamericanreview.submittable.com/submit
        http://www.northamericanreview.org

        First Prize: $1,000.  You may submit up to five previously unpublished poems. All contact information should be entered in your cover letter. No names or addresses should appear on manuscripts. please. Your poems will be assigned log numbers so they can be "read blind." Simultaneous submission to other journals or competitions is not allowed. Payment will be required as part of the sign up procedure which will provide you with a one-year subscription of
        North American Review.

        Last day to submit is October 31, 2013.

        If you are unable to submit or pay via the online submission manager, please call (319) 273-3026 for alternate submission and payment options.

        You will receive acknowledgment of receipt via email after your submission has been completed. Winners will also be announced in the writers' trade magazines and on our website.

        Tips: We have noticed that long poems rarely do well—too much can go wrong in a large space. Poems that have reached the finalist stage in our competition in the past are typically one to two pages (often much shorter). Winning poems always balance interesting subject matter and consummate poetic craft. We value both free verse and formal poems in rhyme and meter—both open and closed forms.

        Please Note: If you pay via PayPal you can use the link at the bottom of this page to process your payment through Submishmash, LLC. We cannot process payments via PayPal through hearstprize@... or through nar@....