call for submissions: Mixed Fruit

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2011
      Mixed Fruit magazine is now accepting submissions for its next issue.
      We're looking for fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, literary
      translations, and visual art.
      Please see our website for submission guidelines, and check out our
      latest issue to see what kind of work we're looking for.

      website:

      http://mixedfruitmag.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2011
        Mixed Fruit is accepting submissions through September 10 for the October issue. We're looking for works of literary fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, translation, and visual arts. Please read our submission guidelines before sending your work.

        http://mixedfruit.submishmash.com/Submit

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 15, 2011
          http://mixedfruit.submishmash.com/submit

          Subject: Call for submissions

          Mixed Fruit is still accepting submissions for issue 4 through December 20th. We're looking for our usual genres: fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, literary translation, and visual art. We are also excited to announce a new category, "Miscellany," which will give contributors an almost limitless spectrum of possibilities. We want to see everything. Well, almost everything. Here are the details:

          Miscellany:
          Here at Mixed Fruit we believe in possibilities, which is why we've decided to introduce a new category for submissions: Miscellaneous works. In keeping with Mixed Fruit's aesthetic of eclecticism, we'd like to see a wider selection of "art" that maybe doesn't fit the well-worn preconceived notions of what is "artful." We're talking genre-bending, transcendence of categorization, experimentation on the edge, the brinks, the borders. Liminal explorations.

          What do we mean by miscellaneous? Simply put, anything that doesn't exclusively fit as fiction, nonfiction, or poetry. Works that incorporate typography, experimental soundscapes, videologues, recipes, silent film, animation, comics, and rogue power points are a few examples, but the point here is that we're not limited to anything, and neither are you. Surprise us. Move us. Frighten us. Stretch our definition of "artful" beyond its elastic limits.

          If your miscellaneous piece fits any of the file types below, we'll take it:

          PDF
          DOCX
          RTF
          WPF
          ODT
          Art / Photography
          JPG
          GIF
          TIFF
          PNG
          Audio
          MP3
          MP4
          M4a
          WAV
          Other
          ZIP
          Video
          MOV - Quicktime Video

          *We will, however, limit ourselves by saying we don't want to see your pornography, any acts of violence against yourself or others, or "hate propaganda," which includes any form of racism, discrimination, sexism, or unkind words against puppies. Here at Mixed Fruit, we love puppies. All else is fair game*

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 15, 2012
            Mixed Fruit, a quarterly literary magazine, is accepting submissions for its sixth issue through June 30. The issue will be published online on July 15. All submissions will also be considered for an upcoming print issue, expected to be released in early 2013.

            Mixed Fruit is open to anything and everything that can possibly fall under the literary umbrella, including the usual suspects (fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, literary translations, visual art), and the not so usual ones (works that incorporate typography, experimental soundscapes, videologues, recipes, silent film, animation, comics, and rogue power points are a few examples, though we're certainly open to your take on our miscellaneous category).

            Simply put, we are open to a very wide variety of submissions. We like the serious, the humorous, the quirky, the strange, the traditional. We just want it to be well done and interesting.

            To submit, read our guidelines and then visit our online submissions manager.http://mixedfruitmagazine.com/submissions/

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 19, 2012
              Submissions for The B-Movie Edition now open
              Submissions link:
              http://mixedfruit.submittable.com/submit

              At Mixed Fruit, we know writers are always under a lot of pressure to write something "literary." We're writers too, and we know that sting of having work rejected for not falling into certain modes of "serious" aesthetics. As we've always said, when you live life in the fast lane, you can expect to be pulled over for not wearing any pants.

              Our dedicated readers know that we're suckers for risks and experiments. Naturally, we get a lot of submissions where the experiment ultimately fails on some level, and on this basis we turn away many pieces, more than you'd think. We decided that for our next issue we're going to right some wrongs. Mixed Fruit is pleased to announce the first ever B-Movie Edition, to be released on October 15.

              We are challenging you to produce something truly bad for our next issue, and we mean "bad" in every sense of the word—interpret it as you will. Your submission(s) might utilize bad techniques as evidenced in films such as The Room, Crocodile, Death Bed: The Bed That Eats, or to hit closer to home for you bookish folks out there, 50 Shades of Grey. On a more advanced level, we're very open to well-done satires that only seem awful to those who don't understand them–think Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal." Or your work might be bad in that it is laughably vulgar, cliché, bawdry, mawkish, raunchy, overdone, or undercooked. You might send us something that's been derided as cheesy, campy, or kitsch. Your submissions might not fit into any of these categories, and in that case, we still want to see them. No holds barred.

              With The B-Movie Edition, Mixed Fruit hopes to give all you artistic rogues a platform to get nasty and reckless. If you've been sitting on a piece in fear that no one could possibly want it—now's the time to give it the audience it deserves. But we challenge you to produce something with this issue in mind. It may be harder than you think.

              It's easy to write something very mediocre. But we think intentionally bad material has the potential to be particularly interesting and thought-provoking. What is bad work critiquing? What tropes are being satirized or responded to? What does the nature of "bad" material offer a publishing environment that affirms a pretty clear and consistent definition of what "good" work looks like?

              The trick here is to send something that is intelligent enough to know how bad it is, yet still be interesting. But honestly, we don't know how this little experiment is going to turn out. We're equally afraid and excited to see how you will respond.

              Without further ado, Mixed Fruit invites you to take place in the monumental literary event of this century by sending us your best "bad" pieces, whatever that means to you. One lucky contributor will be granted the Editor's Choice Award. The prize for this award is Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10, voice recognition software that allows you to dictate your next masterpiece while your computer types it up for you. Three honorable mentions will receive their own prizes that are, we think, appropriate for a contest such as this.

              To submit, visit our website: http://mixedfruitmagazine.com/ All regular submission categories are open during this time as well.