fiction contest: American Fiction

    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2011
      American Fiction: The Best Unpublished Short Stories by Emerging
      Writers has extended its May 1 deadline to June 1, 2011 (postmark
      date).

      First Prize: $1,000
      Second Prize: $500
      Third Prize: $250

      Entry Fee: $12/story

      Contest winners and finalists will be published by New Rivers Press in
      fall 2012 and distributed nationally by The Consortium.

      Winners and finalists will be announced by September 2011.

      Finalist Judge: Josip Novakovich
      This year’s judge, Josip Novakovich, moved from Croatia to the U.S. at
      the age of twenty. He has published a novel, April Fool's Day
      (published in ten languages), three story collections (Infidelities:
      Stories of War and Lust, Yolk, and Salvation and Other Disasters) and
      three collections of narrative essays. His work was anthologized in
      Best American Poetry, the Pushcart Prize collection, and O. Henry Prize
      Stories. He has received the Whiting Writer's Award, a Guggenheim
      fellowship, two National Endowment for the Arts fellowships, the Ingram
      Merrill Award, and an American Book Award, and he has been a writing
      fellow of the New York Public Library. He teaches creative writing at
      Concordia University in Montreal.

      Contest Guidelines:
      Submit electronically:

      http://newriverspress.submishmash.com/Submit

      -or-
      Mail entries:
      American Fiction Prize
      151 Glenwood Street
      Manchester, CT 06040

      We accept all genres of unpublished literary fiction. Entries must be:
      unpublished; strictly 7,500 words or less; postmarked or received
      electronically between Feb. 1, 2011, and June 1, 2011; clearly marked
      "American Fiction Prize" on both the story and the outside of the
      envelope if the submission is sent through the mail; accompanied by a
      $12 entry fee per story (make checks payable to American Fiction).
      Please include a cover page with your name, story title, mailing
      address, and email address. Do not include your name on the pages of
      the story. Please ensure all stories are typed, double-spaced, and that
      the title and page number appear on each page. In lieu of an email
      address, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

      We welcome multiple entries ($12/story). For entries outside the U.S.:
      please send entry fee in U.S. currency or money order. While we cannot
      return manuscripts, we will forward a list of the winning stories to
      any entrant who includes an SASE; as well, we will e-mail contest
      updates to anyone who provides an active e-mail address. Entrants
      retain all rights to their stories.