call for submissions: Whistling Fire

    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2011
      The Whistling Fire is pleased to annouce our July Guest Editor is Petra
      Whitaker.
      Submission Deadline June 25th

      Dear Writer,

      What makes an image an image? Is it the visual description? Or is an
      image more than the sum of its sensory parts? How do sound and other
      sensory detail contribute to imagery? Over the years these questions
      have intrigued me. While there are no definitive answers, I’m
      interested in how poets address these questions in their work.

      This month’s theme is “The Image-driven Poem.” I’m looking for vivid
      poetry, poetry that engages the senses, poetry that comes alive in its
      details. I want your poems that establish place—establish either an
      actual setting or a place in the psyche, or poems that take an abstract
      concept and through imagery make it more palpable.

      If you’re up for the challenge, I’d love to read your work.

      -Petra Whitaker

      Rules: Accepting poetry ONLY.
      Please send your submissions to <whistlingfire(at)gmail.com> (replace
      (at) with @ in sending e-mail). Please include the words “July Editor”
      in your subject line. No more than five poems per submission, one
      submission per author. Must be sent as an attachment (MS WORD
      preferred). Simultaneous submissions accepted. Previously published
      work is also allowed as long as the author retains the rights. Please
      include a short third person bio for our contributor’s page.
      Submissions Close: June 25th

      About the Editor: Petra Whitaker is working on her MFA at the
      University of California, Riverside, Palm Desert. While an
      undergraduate at UCR, she studied psychology and creative writing.
      Petra has taught creative writing at the secondary level, and has been
      actively involved in promoting the arts in her community. Her poetry
      has appeared in Mosaic Art & Literary Journal, The Whistling Fire,
      Connotation Press: An Online Artifact, The Joyful Child Journal, and
      other publications

      There is still time to submit to our June Guest Editor. Find out more
      at www.whistlingfire.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6, 2011
        The Whistling Fire is proud to announce our September Guest Editor is
        Stacy Furrer.
        Submission Deadline August 21st
        Dear Writers,

        I am fascinated by family dynamics, particularly those that operate
        between mother and child. My relationships with both my mother and my
        stepmother were complicated and inexplicable, but if you were to
        witness a few exchanges between us, you would understand why each made
        me nuts in her own special way.

        I am looking for personal stories which illustrate the inexplicable.
        Show me who your mother is by sharing a story in which your family
        dynamics shine through. The story need not be limited to exchanges
        between your mother and yourself—there are others in your family who
        contribute to the crazy.

        I am not looking for Chicken Soup tales. I want the gritty truth, told
        in such a way that I am there, a fly on the wall.

        Show me your mother.

        Stacy Furrer

        Rules: Accepting nonfiction ONLY! Memoirs, personal essays, etc. No
        fiction, poetry, or plays (we don’t publish plays). No more than 3000
        words. Please send your submissions to
        <whistlingfire(at)gmail.com>
        (replace (at) with @ in sending e-mail). Please include the words
        “September Editor” in your subject line. No more than two submission
        per author. Must be sent as an attachment (MS WORD preferred).
        Simultaneous submissions accepted. Previously published work is also
        allowed as long as the author retains the rights. Please include a
        short third person bio for our contributor’s page. Submissions Close:
        August 21st
        About the Editor:Stacy Furrer lives in southern California, where she
        is working on two books, a memoir, and a steamy romantic suspense
        novel. A member of Romance Writers of America, she meets every Sunday
        at the local Starbucks with her critique partner to exchange ideas, get
        feedback, and get her caffeine fix. They are currently in the planning
        stages of starting a new RWA chapter in the Imperial Valley.
        Stacy is a graduate of the low-residency Master’s program at UCR’s Palm
        Desert campus. An excerpt from her memoir, Black Sheep Sings, was the
        first nonfiction published by The Whistling Fire and is the most viewed
        piece in Whistling Fire history. Find out more about Stacy at
        http://onegirlriot.wordpress.com/

        There is still time to submit to our August Guest Editor, who will be
        accepting fiction until July 23rd. To find out more about both Guest
        Editor months please visit whistlingfire.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 31 6:39 AM
          Whistling Fire is please to announce our November Guest Editor is Albert Abonado
          Submission Deadline: October 23rd

          Dear Writers,

          The commonly held perception of the writer is that of the soloist, operating in isolation, probably dressed in black with a bottle of whiskey within arm’s reach. The act of writing is often perceived at its most romantic a pursuit often done best in solitude so that a person can assert one’s independent voice. But the truth for me is that writing is as much a social act as it is an individual one, a product of our myriad influences, from stock market crashes to the song a father sings to his daughter to an ant floating on a leaf in a puddle. What about those writers who take this notion of writing as a social act one step further, who choose instead to emphasize a sense of community and eschew this tradition of individuality by working collaboratively with others to produce a poem? The Surrealists are famous for employing this tactic, but other, more contemporary examples exist: Denise Duhamel and Maureen Seaton, John Gallaher and G.C. Waldrep.

          Ms. Duhamel talks about a “ third voice, a voice that is neither Maureen's nor mine, but rather some poetic hybrid.” This month I’m interested in poetry written by two or more authors. No particular theme required. Send me poems that neither you nor your co-author(s) can claim as being wholly your own, but instead appears to exist outside of you—a mysterious, strangely cohesive, other voice that contains its own sensibilities. I’m open to any subject. So pass the bottle of whiskey around to your friends and let’s see what happens.

          Good Luck!
          Albert Abonado

          Rules: Accepting poetry ONLY! Please send your submissions to
          <whistlingfire(at)gmail.com> (replace (at) with @ in sending e-mail)
          whistlingfire@.... Please include the words “November Editor” in your subject line. No more than five submission per writing duo or group, individuals can submit multiple times with different writing partners. Must be sent as an attachment (MS WORD preferred). Simultaneous submissions accepted. Previously published work is also allowed as long as the author retains the rights. Please include a short third person bio for each author. Submissions Close: October 23rd

          About the Editor: Albert Abonado lives in Rochester, NY, the 10th smartest city in the US with his wife who is unhappy with the fact that he is allergic to cats. He is the Associate Director of Marketing and Production for BOA Editions. He holds an MFA from the Bennington Writing Seminars and has been nominated for a Pushcart Prize. His poetry has appeared or is forthcoming in Guernica, Rattle, Anti-, Gargoyle, Washington Square, New Ohio Review, No Tell Motel, and The Collagist.

          Submissions are still open for our October Guest Editor who will be accepting nonfiction until September 25th. To find out more about both Guest Editors please visit www.whistlingfire.com