fiction contest: American Fiction

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2011
      American Fiction: The Best Unpublished Short Stories by Emerging Writers, twice chosen by Writers' Digest as one of the best places in the United States to publish fiction, will be open to submissions from Feb. 1, 2011, to May 1, 2011, (postmark date).

      First Prize: $1,000
      Second Prize: $500
      Third Prize: $250

      Entry Fee: $12/story

      Contest winners and finalists will be published by New Rivers Press in fall 2012 and distributed nationally by The Consortium.

      Winners and finalists will be announced by September 2011.

      Finalist Judge: Josip Novakovich
      This year's judge, Josip Novakovich, moved from Croatia to the U.S. at the age of twenty. He has published a novel, April Fool's Day (published in ten languages), three story collections (Infidelities: Stories of War and Lust, Yolk, and Salvation and Other Disasters) and three collections of narrative essays. His work was anthologized in Best American Poetry, the Pushcart Prize collection, and O. Henry Prize Stories. He has received the Whiting Writer's Award, a Guggenheim fellowship, two National Endowment for the Arts fellowships, the Ingram Merrill Award, and an American Book Award, and he has been a writing fellow of the New York Public Library. He teaches creative writing at Concordia University in Montreal.

      Contest Guidelines:
      Submit electronically:
      http://newriverspress.submishmash.com/Submit
      -or-
      Mail entries:
      American Fiction Prize
      151 Glenwood Street
      Manchester, CT 06040

      We accept all genres of unpublished literary fiction. Entries must be: unpublished; strictly 7,500 words or less; postmarked or received electronically between Feb. 1, 2011, and May 1, 2011; clearly marked "American Fiction Prize" on both the story and the outside of the envelope if the submission is sent through the mail; accompanied by a $12 entry fee per story (make checks payable to American Fiction). Please include a cover page with your name, story title, mailing address, and email address. Do not include your name on the pages of the story. Please ensure all stories are typed, double-spaced, and that the title and page number appear on each page. In lieu of an email address, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

      We welcome multiple entries ($12/story). For entries outside the U.S.: please send entry fee in U.S. currency or money order. While we cannot return manuscripts, we will forward a list of the winning stories to any entrant who includes an SASE; as well, we will e-mail contest updates to anyone who provides an active e-mail address. Entrants retain all rights to their stories.

      Thank you for your interest, and good luck!
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5 8:21 AM
        American Fiction: The Best Unpublished Short Stories by Emerging
        Writers has extended its May 1 deadline to June 1, 2011 (postmark
[...]

        electronically between Feb. 1, 2011, and June 1, 2011; clearly marked