call for submissions: HAVEN

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2011
      HAVEN is a new lit mag seeking poetry and fiction regarding social issues that demonstrates a playful, yet engaged love of language.
      There are thousands of journals out there that want your quiet work, your straight-forward work, your safe work. Those journals aren't us.
      We are the home for the too topical, the pieces deemed too linguistic, too experimental for the subject. Pain, suffering, and social ills are not straightforward and concrete – your work shouldn't have to be either. We encourage all styles, but want work that shows us language in a new light, that examines the words as well as the issues.
      We want work that goes outside the self, that brings imagination, creativity, linguistic decadence and formal innovation to bear on societal issues of all stripes.
      All issues are fair game: vagrancy, gender expectations, war, depression, education. We want work that speaks to the world with a complex, living voice.
      Guidelines:
      Poetry: no more than four pages
      Fiction: 2,500 words or less
      Please email all submissions to
      haven [dot] submissions [at] gmail [dot] com
      <haven.submissions(at)gmail.com> (replace (at) with @ in sending e-mail)
      Deadline is Monday, April 11th, 2011.