short-short fiction contest: Sonora Review

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2007
      Sonora Review Short-Short Contest
      Prize: $250 and publication. Ten finalists will also be considered for
      publication.
      Judge: David Means

      Guidelines
      For our purposes, "short-short" means 1,000 words or less. Stories over 1,000
      words will not be considered. No previously published works, or works
      forthcoming elsewhere. A $10 fee is required; entrants may submit up to three stories
      (each 1,000 words max.) with each $10 fee, payable by check or money order
      made out to Sonora Review. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but fees are
      non-refundable. Cover letter must include name, address, phone number, and
      title(s) of stories submitted.

      Manuscripts need not be left anonymous. Postmark deadline: December 1, 2007.

      Contest is open to all writers, except those who are currently students or
      instructors in the University of Arizona's MFA program. Contest results will be
      announced on our website in the spring, and in our Spring 2008 print edition.
      All entries must include an SASE for notification. Manuscripts will not be
      returned. Judge's decision is final.

      Send entries to:

      Sonora Review Contest
      Department of English
      University of Arizona
      Tucson, AZ 85721

      David Means is the author of The Secret Goldfish and has won the Los Angeles
      Times Book Prize and the O. Henry Award.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2008
        The Third Annual Sonora Review Short-Short Contest is now OPEN and accepting submissions.
        http://www.coh.arizona.edu/Sonora/contest.htm

        Judged by Aimee Bender, the contest will look for and reward the best of the brief. Remember, however, in submitting your short-shorts that brevity alone does not a short-short make. Like all short fiction, the work must be a complete entity, whole unto itself; we want a complete work in 1,000 words or fewer. Dazzle us, razzle us, make us wonder at your compression, cheer at your ability to contain the power and beauty of the longest long story in the shortest short space.

        Regulations:

        Item 1. Deadlines

        All entries must be postmarked by January 15th, 2009. Winners will be announced in early Spring 2009, concomitant with the publication of Sonora Review No. 56. Also, the winning short-short and select runners-up will be published in Sonora Review No. 56.

        Item 2. Entrance Fee

        $15.00*
        *This includes a one-year subscription. That's the chance to win the prize (see Item 4) AND two issues (starting with SR 56) at a rather nifty and thrifty discount. Payable by check or money order made out to Sonora Review. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but fees are non-refundable. Cover letter must include name, address, phone number, and title(s) of stories submitted.

        Item 3. Rules, Regulations, Restrictions

        Entrants may submit up to 3 pieces for each entry fee. All pieces MUST be 1,000 words or fewer. Any pieces over the word limit will be immediately disqualified.20No long-work-in-short-clothing will be considered for the contest. The editors of Sonora Review will read the entries and select ten finalists, which we will then give to the contest judge for her consideration. She will then choose and rank her top four stories. All ten finalists will be considered for publication in Sonora Review 56. Sonora Review reserves the right to publish any, all or none of the stories selected in the top ten.

        Item 4. Prize

        For the winner: $1000.00 (USD) and publication in Sonora Review, including 2 (two) contributor's copies. The authors of any published stories will each receive two contributor's copies.

        Item 5. How to Sumbit

        Mail your story or stories to the address below, along with a check for $15.00 made out to Sonora Review. All entries must be postmarked on or before January 15th, 2009.

        Sonora Review Contest
        Department of English
        University of Arizona
        Tucson, AZ 85721

        Item 6. Questions

        If you have any questions, feel free to email us at:
        <sonora(at)email.arizona.edu>

        sonora@...
        We wish you all the very best of luck, and look forward to reading your work.