poetry and fiction contest: New South
- The 2011 New South Writing Contest deadline is March 4th, 2011. This
year's judges are Karen E. Bender (prose) and Rodney Jones (poetry).
About the judges:
Karen E. Bender is the author of Like Normal People, a novel, and is
co-editor of the anthology Choice: True Stories of Birth, Contraception,
Infertility, Adoption, Single Parenthood and Abortion. Her fiction has
appeared in The New Yorker, Granta, Ploughshares, The Harvard Review,
Story and other magazines, and has been anthologized in Best American
Short Stories and Best American Mystery Stories. She has received grants
from the NEA and the Rona Jaffe Foundation and is working on a
collection of short stories and a novel.
Rodney Jones is the author of eight books of poetry: Salvation Blues:
100 Poems, 1985–2005 (2006), Kingdom of the Instant: Poems (2004), Elegy
for the Southern Drawl (1999), Things That Happen Once (1996),
Apocalyptic Narrative (1993), and Transparent Gestures (1989), all from
Houghton Mifflin, as well as The Unborn (Atlantic Monthly, 1985) and The
Story They Told Us of Light (Alabama, 1980). He was a finalist for the
Pulitzer Prize. His other honors include a Guggenheim Fellowship, the
Peter IB Lavan Award from the Academy of American Poets, the Jean Stein
Award from the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters, a
Southeast Booksellers Association Award, a Harper Lee Award, and the
1989 National Book Critics Circle Award.
Poetry Prize Prose Prize
Judge: RODNEY JONES Judge: KAREN E. BENDER
First Place: $1000 First Place: $1000
Second Place: $250 Second Place: $250
Deadline: All entries must be postmarked or submitted electronically to
TellItSlant by March 4, 2011.
Reading Fee: $15.00
To Submit by Post Mail
Each post mail entry must include the following:
● A check or money order (NO CASH) made payable to Georgia State
University for fifteen dollars ($15). Entry fee includes a copy of the
Summer 2011 issue, which will contain the winning entries.
● A cover letter with a 3-to 4-line bio, title(s) of the work submitted,
and your name, mailing address, phone number, and email address.
● Address poetry submissions to the Poetry Editor.
● Poems must be typed.
● Submit up to three (3) poems per $15 Reading Fee.
● All poems must have name, address, phone, and e-mail appearing on each
● Address fiction submissions to the Fiction Editor.
● Manuscripts must be typed.
● Include name, address, phone, email, & word count on the first page of
the manuscript only.
● Non-fiction is welcomed and encourage
● Submit one (1) short story per $15 Reading Fee
● Please limit your submission to 9,000 words
Send work to the following address:
New South/ Writing Contest
Campus Box 1894
Georgia State University
MSC 8R0322 Unit 8
Atlanta, Georgia 30303-3083
To Submit Online
New South will also accept online submissions for this year’s contest.
Please visit our page on Tell It Slant to submit:
https://tellitslant.com/writer/submissions/new?id=14 . Please be sure to
select the appropriate genre for your submission.
Each online entry must include the following:
● A reading fee of fifteen dollars ($15). Entry fee includes a copy of
the Summer 2011 issue, which will contain the winning entries.
● The submitter’s contact info, including a mailing address so that we
may send a copy of the Summer 2011 issue.
● Submit up to three (3) poems per document.
● Non-fiction is welcomed and encouraged
● Submit one (1) short story per $15 Reading Fee.
● Please limit your submissions to 9,000 words
While we take the greatest care in handling your entries, we assume no
responsibility for lost or damaged manuscripts. Only unpublished work
considered. Simultaneous submissions considered with notification. All
rights revert to author after publication. Current students, staff, and
faculty at Georgia State University are not eligible.
New South publiand established writers. New South holds no subject
will select the best work regardless of style or genre. The final round
of judging will be anonymous (the names will be removed from the
manuscripts before the final judges see them).
For questions ONLY (no submissions, please):
<new_south(at)langate.gsu.edu> (replace (at) with @)