call for submissions: Teaching Creative Writing essays

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2011
      Teaching Creative Writing
      THE PUBLISHERS: The Professional and Higher Partnership Ltd (www.professionalandhigher.com) is launching a list dedicated to creative writing studies in higher education. Publications will cover the nature of creative writing and the processes of studying, teaching, and researching the subject. The list will include monographs, student guides, and professional how-to books. It is expected that all titles will be published in print and e-book formats. The first title, Rethinking Creative Writing in Higher Education by Stephanie Vanderslice (University of Central Arkansas), will be published in Spring 2011.
      THE BOOK: Teaching Creative Writing: Practical Approaches is designed to showcase practical approaches developed by practitioners in the ever-growing community of writers in higher education. Aimed at enabling those who teach the subject to review, borrow, and adapt ideas, the emphasis throughout is on diversity. Contributions from an international team of writers cover a variety of forms and genres and include traditional and innovative components of creative writing courses.
      Contents: Introduction  50 practical ideas  Conclusion: on teaching groups  Further reading  Index
      Readership: teachers of Creative Writing in higher education
      THE EDITOR: Dr Elaine Walker teaches Creative Writing for the University of Wales, Bangor, and the Open University. Her publications include fiction, non-fiction,and poetry. For further details, please see her profile may be found on their Writers of Wales database: http://www.academi.org/writers-of-wales/alpha/87/ .
      THE CALL: Teaching Creative Writing will comprise fifty essays, each outlining an activity for use on higher ducation courses. Each essay will be 500-1000 words. Please note that at this stage we are not seeking submissions of the essays themselves. In the first instance, we would welcome an outline of your idea consisting of 60-100 words. If your submission is accepted for inclusion in the book, we will then offer you a contract for writing the essay itself.
      We would particularly welcome ideas for exercises on any of the following:
       point of view
       writing genre fiction
       workshopping
       altrnatives to workshopping
       revisiting the classics
       travel writing
      To submit your idea, please send by e-mail – with Teaching Creative Writing in the subject line - to
      <partners(at)professionalandhigher.com> (replace (at) with @) no later than 31 March 2011.