call for submissions: Surreal South

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2011
      Surreal South Submission Guidelines
      Press 53 . PO Box 30314, Winston-Salem, NC 27130-0314

      SURREAL SOUTH 2011: GHOSTS AND MONSTERS
      Link to submit work for this anthology can be found at
      http://press53.com/SubmissionsSurrealSouth.html

      “The man who cannot visualize a horse galloping on a tomato is an
      idiot.”

      —Andre Breton

      Step into, say, 90% of university writing workshops, and you’ll find
      the students interested in writing outside the lines slumped in their
      seats, looking like they’ve been pelted with rocks. For many decades
      now, realism has been the order of the day for those teaching serious
      fiction. Disappointing, isn’t it? Our children are drawn to the
      fantastic, and naturally blend it with their own daily reality. So we
      immerse them in games and literature that excite their imagination...
      until it’s time to write. Then we toss a big, fat brick of realism at
      them and wonder why their prose has all the sparkle of desiccated mouse
      turds.

      We put together the first edition of Surreal South in 2007 to provide a
      legitimate platform for untethered work. Many of those first
      contributors, like Robert Olen Butler, Julianna Baggott, and William
      Gay, had long experience letting the surreal shine through their
      writing. For others, like Kyle Minor, had never before published
      stories with surreal elements. Kyle's story, “The Truth and All Its
      Ugly,” changes just a single aspect of the real world: a person can
      order up a robotic version of a departed loved one if he so desires.
      When Kyle’s protagonist replaces his dead son with a robotic
      look-alike, the result is poignant, literary perfection.

      With Surreal South ’09, we focused on new, emerging writers like Oscar
      Hokeah and Becky Hagenston, whose story, “Anthony”—the tale of a little
      girl with the ghost of a young black man living in her tummy—makes us
      smile every time someone mentions it.

      Surrealism is not just reality with a twist; it’s a new reality that’s
      both seamless and shameless. Unafraid. For the 2011 edition, we are
      specifically looking for monster or ghost stories.

      Our definition of the surreal includes dream stories, horror stories,
      monster stories, insanity, magical realism, the distorted, the
      peculiar, the impossible, and the irrational. We have as part of our
      mandate some small reconciliation between so-called "genre" fiction and
      so-called "literary" fiction. The southern part? The writer needs to be
      associated with the geographical American south (born, living, spent
      time in prison or otherwise dallied somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon)
      or the material needs to be plainly set in or derived from the South.

      There’s one thing we can’t stress enough: We’re not looking for
      standard literary, fantasy, or crime stories. We want your dreamworld
      visions told in prose that will blow us away. Take a look at one of the
      first two editions of Surreal South. Buy, beg, or borrow at least one
      of them, because we’re very specific about what we’re looking for. We
      receive lots of terrific Southern stories without much in the way of
      surreal content, and that’s disappointing, because we simply can’t use
      them.

      We require non-exclusive print and ebook rights to each story. While
      preference will be given to new, original work, we will consider work
      that has been published elsewhere. You must currently own free and
      clear rights to the piece. We will not be able to negotiate with other
      publishers.

      What will you get for your efforts? Not a hell of a lot by commercial
      standards. A contributor’s copy, and a nice discount from our kind and
      very patient publisher, Press 53. Press 53 will also give you a
      fifty-dollar website credit so you can sample/give/enjoy more of their
      terrific books. We have excellent taste, and high standards, so you’ll
      be part of a select group of writers doing something very cool. You
      could ask for more, but why would you want to?

      Beware: if you send us anything resembling desiccated mouse turds, we
      will make fun of you.

      OFFICIAL GUIDELINES

      Surreal South ’11 seeks submissions of prose fiction of 1000 to around
      7000 words.

      The fiction or the author must be in some manner southern, and the work
      must contain surreal elements.

      Content must reflect the Ghost and Monsters theme.

      All submissions should be submitted through the submission link below.
      No other method of submission—snail mail, email, thought-transmission,
      etc.—is acceptable.

      Only one submission per writer.

      Submitter must own/control print and ebook rights to the work.

      Submission must contain these elements, and these elements only:

      a.The story or self-contained novel excerpt of 1000-7000 words.
      b. Author bio (no longer than 250 words).
      c.Story note relating to the origin of the story and its surreal
      elements.
      d.Information on the publishing history of the story (if applicable).

      Submission deadline: March 15, 2011

      Publication date (ebook and print): October 31, 2011