poetry chapbook contest: Creative Justice

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2011
      2011 Creative Justice Winter Chapbook Competition
      link to submit manuscripts:

      Electronic submissions will be accepted from January 7, 2010 to March
      7, 2010.

      The 2011 Creative Justice Winter Chapbook Competition is open to any
      poet writing in English. The prize includes $50, Fall 2011 publication
      by Creative Justice Press, and 10 copies of the chapbook. Winner can
      order more chapbooks at a discounted rate. Manuscripts will remain
      anonymous until a winner is selected. The reading fee for each
      manuscript is $17.

      Winning chapbook will be published by September, 2011.

      Winner and finalists will be announced June 1st, 2011

      Submission Guidelines:

      1. The chapbook contest is open from January 7 to March 7.
      Electronically submitted manuscripts must be received between January
      7, 2011 and midnight, Eastern Standard Time, on March 7, 2011.

      2. This contest is open to all writers no matter how many books they
      have published. No age restrictions.

      3. Manuscripts must be 20 to 40 pages of poetry (not including the
      front and back matter).

      4. Individual poems in a contest manuscript may have been previously
      published in magazines, print or web journals, or anthologies, but the
      work as a whole must be unpublished. Manuscripts that have been
      self-published as books or chapbooks are also ineligible.

      5. The manuscript must be original and in English. Translations are
      ineligible. However, we do understand that you may choose to use some
      words from other languages occasionally in poems. This is perfectly

      6. A reading fee of $17 must accompany each entry.

      7. Submit and pay reading fee through our secure electronic submission
      process (details at
      Electronic submissions only.

      General Guidelines:

      —Manuscripts must include one cover page with title of manuscript only.
      Please do not include any other identifying information in or with the
      manuscript. Please do not include acknowledgments page, cover letter,
      or bio.

      - Manuscript must be typed using 12 point, Times New Roman font and
      must be single spaced.

      - Only one poem per page.

      —Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but please notify us with an
      email to linkingculture@... if your manuscript has been accepted

      —Multiple submissions to this contest are acceptable, but each
      manuscript must be submitted separately, with a separate entry fee.

      —Please notify us of changes in your contact information with an email
      <linkingculture(at)gmail.com> (replace (at) with @)

      —No revisions to submitted manuscripts will be allowed during the

      — All manuscripts will be deleted or recycled at the end of the

      —We will announce contest results by email, as well as at

      —All entrants will be considered for publication in our 2011 All Poetry
      is Prayer Chapbook.

      - Winner and finalists will be invited to do at least one public
      reading of their work.

      All manuscripts will then be read by at least three different editors.
      These editors will not have access to the identities of the submitters.
      For the sake of avoiding any conflict of interest, if an editor
      believes that he/she recognizes the work of a colleague, student, or
      friend, then that manuscript is given to another editor. The editors
      will select the semi-finalists to be sent to the judge. The judge will
      then select the winner and three finalists.

      Creative Justice Press abides by The CLMP Code of Ethics. CLMP’s
      community of independent literary publishers believes that ethical
      contests serve our shared goal: to connect writers and readers by
      publishing exceptional writing. We believe that intent to act
      ethically, clarity of guidelines, and transparency of process form the
      foundation of an ethical contest. To that end, we agree to 1) conduct
      our contests as ethically as possible and to address any unethical
      behavior on the part of our readers, judges, or editors; 2) to provide
      clear and specific contest guidelines — defining conflict of interest
      for all parties involved; and 3) to make the mechanics of our selection
      process available to the public. This Code recognizes that different
      contest models produce different results, but that each model can be
      run ethically. We have adopted this Code to reinforce our integrity and
      dedication as a publishing community and to ensure that our contests
      contribute to a vibrant literary heritage.