short story competition: Lorian Hemingway

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2011
      $2,500 Awaits Winners of Lorian Hemingway Short Story Competition
      http://www.shortstorycompetition.com/

      Writers of short fiction are encouraged to enter the 2011 Lorian
      Hemingway Short Story Competition. The competition has a thirty-year
      history of literary excellence, and its organizers are dedicated to
      enthusiastically supporting the efforts and talent of emerging writers
      of short fiction whose voices have yet to be heard.

      Lorian Hemingway, granddaughter of Nobel laureate Ernest Hemingway, is
      the author of three critically acclaimed books:
      Walking into the River, Walk on Water, and A World Turned Over.
      Ms. Hemingway is the competition's final judge.

      Prizes:

      The first-place winner will receive $1,500. The second and third-place
      winners will receive $500 each. Honorable mentions will also be awarded
      to entrants whose work demonstrates promise.

      Eligibility requirements for our 2011 competition are as follows:

      What to submit:

      · Stories must be original unpublished fiction, typed and
      double-spaced, and may not exceed 3,500 words in length. We have
      extended our word limit for the first time in thirty years to 3,500
      words rather than 3,000. There are no theme or genre restrictions.
      Copyright remains property of the author.

      Who may submit:

      · The literary competition is open to all U.S. and international
      writers whose fiction has not appeared in a nationally distributed
      publication with a circulation of 5,000 or more. Writers who have been
      published by an online magazine or who have self-published will be
      considered on an individual basis.

      Submission requirements:

      · Submissions may be sent via regular mail or submitted online. Please
      visit our online submissions page for complete instructions regarding
      online submissions. Writers may submit multiple entries, but each must
      be accompanied by an entry fee and separate cover sheet. We do accept
      simultaneous submissions; however, the writer must notify us if a story
      is accepted for publication or wins an award prior to our July
      announcements. No entry confirmation will be given unless requested. No
      SASE is required.

      · The author's name should not appear on the story. Our entrants are
      judged anonymously. Each story must be accompanied by a separate cover
      sheet with the writer's name, complete mailing address, e-mail address,
      phone number, the title of the piece, and the word count. Manuscripts
      will not be returned. These requirements apply for online submissions
      as well.

      Deadlines and Entry Fees:

      · The entry fee is $15 for each story postmarked by May 1, 2011. The
      late entry fee is $20 for each story postmarked by May 15, 2011. We
      encourage you to enter by May 1 if at all possible, but please know
      that your story will still be accepted if you meet the later deadline.
      Entries postmarked after May 15, 2011 will not be accepted. Entries
      submitted online after May 15, 2011 will not be accepted. Writers may
      submit for the 2012 competition beginning May 16, 2011.

      How to pay your entry fee:

      · Entry fees submitted by mail with their accompanying stories may be
      paid -- in U.S. funds -- via a personal check, cashier's check, or
      money order. Please make checks payable to LHSSC or The Lorian
      Hemingway Short Story Competition. Entry fees for online submissions
      may be paid with PayPal.

      Announcement of Winners and Honorable Mentions:

      Winners will be announced at the end of July 2011 in Key West, Florida,
      and posted on our website soon afterward. Only the first-place entrant
      will be notified personally. All entrants will receive a letter from
      Lorian Hemingway and a list of winners, either via regular mail or
      e-mail, by October 1, 2011.

      All manuscripts and their accompanying entry fees should be sent to The
      Lorian Hemingway Short Story Competition, P.O. Box 993, Key West, FL
      33041 or submitted online.

      For more information, please explore the website
      http://www.shortstorycompetition.com/
      or e-mail: <shortstorykw(at)gmail.com> (replace (at) with @ in sending
      e-mail)