call for submissions: Asymptote

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 19, 2010
      DEADLINE EXTENDED FOR SUBMISSIONS TO ASYMPTOTE, A NEW ONLINE
      INTERNATIONAL MAGAZINE OF LITERATURE

      Our website is http://asymptotejournal.com

      The inaugural January 2011 issue of ASYMPTOTE will feature essays by
      Mary Gaitskill (introducing Natsuo Kirino) and Alain de Botton
      (introducing La Rochefoucauld), fiction by Liu Zhenyun (translated by
      Howard Goldblatt) and Yoram Kaniuk (translated by Anthony Berris),
      poems by Aimé Césaire (translated by Clayton Eshleman and A. James
      Arnold), Elisabeth Rynell (translated by Rika Lesser), Pura
      López-Colomé (translated by Forrest Gander) and Melih Cevdet Anday
      (translated by Sidney Wade and Efe Murad), an interview with Francis
      Li Zhuoxiong(Golden Melody Award-winning songwriter and translator of
      the 2010 World Cup song) and more.

      If you'd like to be part of this exciting lineup, now is still not too
      late. Our official deadline is 20 Dec 2010 but we are extending it for
      certain sections. Query if interested.

      Take note of the call for submissions for our Special Feature section:
      We are calling for essays written in the original ENGLISH introducing
      a writer working in a language other than English who deserves greater
      attention from the English-speaking world. It could be a poet, a
      dramatist, a fiction writer, even a song writer, and you needn't have
      read the work in its original language--i.e., even if you had only
      come across it via a translation, it would still be fine. We're
      looking for something under 1500 words (even 800 will do) that will
      illuminate that writer's work for us, that gives us a reason to run to
      the bookstore for him/her.

      We welcome submissions of TRANSLATIONS INTO ENGLISH of poetry, fiction
      (short fiction or excerpts of longer works), drama as well as certain
      categories of nonfiction(memoir, despatch, and the occasional original
      essay in English on literature or translation).

      See full submission guidelines here:

      http://asymptotejournal.com/guidelines.html
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 10, 2011
        CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS TO ASYMPTOTE, A NEW STATE-OF-THE-ART
        INTERNATIONAL MAGAZINE OF LITERATURE

        Our website is http://asymptotejournal.com

        The current issue of ASYMPTOTE features Mary Gaitskill, Thomas
        Bernhard, Aimé Césaire, Ludwik Sztyrmer, Du Fu, and Gozo Yoshimasu
        among others. The upcoming April issue will feature a despatch from
        Afghanistan, a memoir from Cuba, alongside an hitherto unpublished
        fiction excerpt from Imre Kertész and an interview with Edith
        Grossman. If you do translations in any genre (fiction, nonfiction,
        poetry, drama) and like to be a part of this lineup, see our full
        submission guidelines here:

        http://asymptotejournal.com/guidelines.html

        DEADLINE: 15 Mar 2010

        We also take critical essays and book reviews in the Criticism
        section, as well as visual poetry. Take note of the call for
        submissions for our Special Feature section, open to the writers among
        us who are not translators:

        For the upcoming issue, we invite submissions of English-language
        original fiction, poetry, and memoir/non-fiction (written in English)
        that features an "encounter between languages" as its crux or as a
        significant plot point. Those matters that are "lost in translation",
        to use a cliché: the misread sign, the foreign significant other, the
        Japanese obstetrician delivering a Swedish baby, etc.

        We continue to invite, as always, essays (written in English,
        passionately, in less than 1500 words) about a relatively unknown
        author writing in a language other than English (in any genre) that
        deserves more attention from the English-speaking world.
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2011
          call for submissions: Asymptote

          ASYMPTOTE is an exciting new international journal of literature. Our
          inaugural issue featured Mary Gaitskill, Thomas Bernhard, Aimé Césaire,
          Ko Un, Pura López-Colomé, Forrest Gander, Clayton Eshleman, Rika Lesser
          and Sidney Wade among the 77 writers drawn from 17 different languages.
          Our April issue, just out in April, features José Saramago, Imre
          Kertész, Ingrid Winterbach, Fernando Pessoa, Cesar Vallejo, Torgny
          Lindgren, Dominic Pettman, Bharati Mukherjee and Justin Taylor.

          Our website is http://asymptotejournal.com

          Please support our magazine at our Facebook page here:
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Asymptote/110342239032059

          To join our mailing list, click on Subscribe to Mailing List at the
          bottom of our website.

          If you'd like to contribute to our July issue (We are interested in new
          writers as well as established ones), please see our full submission
          guidelines here:

          http://asymptotejournal.com/guidelines.html

          DEADLINE: 1 June 2011

          Not only do we take translations of fiction, nonfiction, poetry and
          drama, we also take original English-language critical essays and book
          reviews in the Criticism section. Take note of the call for submissions
          for our Special Feature section, open to the writers among us who are
          not translators:

          We invite essays (written in English, passionately, in less than 1500
          words) about a relatively unknown author writing in a language other
          than English (in any genre) that deserves more attention from the
          English-speaking world.

          If you like what we do, please spread the word. We've run out of money
          to do publicity and hope to rely on our readers to get the word out of
          our very young journal.

          Thank you in advance for your support, and we look forward to reading
          your submissions!

          The Asymptote team
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 9 8:40 AM
            Announcing: ASYMPTOTE's Mega Summer Issue and Call for Submissions

            ASYMPTOTE is an exciting new international journal of literature, gathering in one place the best in contemporary literature. In our 3 issues we have featured Mary Gaitskill, Thomas Bernhard, Sven Birkerts, Tomaž Šalamun, Shen Congwen, Robert Walser, Ingrid Winterbach, Aimé Césaire, Cavafy, Adonis, Ko Un, Pura López-Colomé, Quim Monzó, Forrest Gander, Rika Lesser and Sidney Wade among the 150 over writers and translators working in 33 different languages.

            All our content is available free online at our aesthetically exciting website, where we post not only the translated texts, but also, when available, the works in their original languages, audio recordings of those originals, and accompanying artwork specially curated for each issue.

            Our mega summer issue--featuring our largest and boldest lineup ever(where we publish for the first time work from the Sanskrit, Vietnamese, Thai, Arabic, Urdu, Catalan, Sinhi, Slovenian and Yiddish)--can be accessed by clicking here:

            http://asymptotejournal.com

            Please like and follow our magazine
            on Facebook.

            You may also wish to tweet and reblog us at our Twitter and Tumblr accounts!

            To join our mailing list, click on Subscribe to Mailing List at the bottom of our website.

            HOW TO SUBMIT

            If you'd like to contribute to our October issue (We are interested in new writers as well as established ones), please see our full submission guidelines here:

            http://asymptotejournal.com/submit.php

            The deadline for submissions our next issue is 15 August 2011. Inquire at <editors(at)asymptotejournal.com> (replace (at) with in sending e-mail)
            if you have something for us but need extra time.

            Note:

            We don't only feature translations. We take original English-language critical essays and book reviews in the Criticism section.

            Also: take note of the call for submissions for our Special Feature section, open to the writers among us who are not translators where:

            As always, we invite essays (written in English, passionately, in less than 1500 words) about a relatively unknown author writing in a language other than English (in any genre) that deserves more attention from the English-speaking world.

            For the upcoming issue only, we also invite submissions of English-language original poetry that are retellings or appropriations, those poems that are written after Cavafy, after John Donne etc.

            If you like what we do, please spread the word. We really need our supporters to get the word out of our very young journal. Thank you!

            The Asymptote team

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2012
              call for submissions: Asymptote--global literature

              As written up in the Jan/February 2012 issue of Poets and Writers Magazine: The year-old online journal Asymptote, produced by a far-flung team of editors, has featured work from authors and translators drawn from almost fifty countries and working in upward of forty languages, from Arabic to Burmese to Catalan. In addition to translations, the magazine publishes work in its original language, sometimes with accompanying audio. The January 2012 issue presents literature from Indonesia, Sweden, and elsewhere, including an excerpt of a novel by the late Polish writer Bruno Jasienski, a leader of the Polish futurist movement. For the April issue, Asymptote is seeking submissions of English-language fiction themed on “the unsaid.”

              Past contributors to Asymptote have included Lydia Davis, Mary Gaitskill and David Shields.

              Access to our website, available for free, is at http://asymptotejournal.com

              Please support our magazine at our Facebook page here:
              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Asymptote/110342239032059

              To join our mailing list, click on "Subscribe to Mailing List" at the bottom of our website.

              If you'd like to contribute to our April 2012 issue (We are very much interested in emerging writers too), please see our full submission
              guidelines here:

              http://asymptotejournal.com/submit.php

              DEADLINE: 15 February 2012. Query us directly if you think you might have something, but need more time.

              Inquire at <editors(at)asymptotejournal.com> (replace (at) with @ when sending e-mail)

              Not only do we take translations of fiction, nonfiction, poetry and drama, we also take original English-language critical essays and book reviews in the Criticism section, as well as interviews. Take note of the permanent call for submissions
              for our Special Feature section, open to the writers among us who are not translators:

              We invite essays (written in English, passionately, in less than 1500 words) about a relatively unknown author writing in a language other than English (in any genre) that deserves more attention from the
              English-speaking world.

              For our April 2012 issue only:

              We are also looking for original English short stories or excerpts from longer work (maximum 5000 words), centering on "the unsaid".