fiction contest: Symphony Space

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2010
      The 2011 Stella Kupferberg Memorial Short Story Prize
      with guest judge Jennifer Egan
      https://www.symphonyspace.org/writing_contest

      The winning submission, selected by Jennifer Egan, will be read as part
      of the Selected Shorts performance at Symphony Space on June 8, 2011.
      The story will be recorded for possible later broadcast as part of the
      public radio series. The winner will receive $1000.

      Story requirements
      Submit a single short story that addresses the theme, Restaurants and
      Bars.
      Your story must have a title.
      Make sure your name and contact information appear on the first page of
      your story. If you are submitting online, this information needs to
      appear on the first page of the attached Word document. Include page
      numbers.
      Your story must be no more than 750 words double-spaced (Times New
      Roman, 12pt font).
      Your story must be unpublished.
      Deadline
      All submissions must be received by March 1, 2011. To be specific,
      online submissions must be submitted by 5pm Eastern Standard Time.
      Mailed submissions must arrive with the day's mail. (Entries postmarked
      on March 2 will NOT be accepted.)

      Where to submit your story
      Submit your submission online at
      https://www.symphonyspace.org/writing_contest

      or
      Mail to
      CONTEST, Selected Shorts
      Symphony Space
      2537 Broadway
      New York, NY 10025.

      Mailed submissions must also include a check for $25, written to
      Symphony Space. Online submissions must give credit card information
      to submit. Stories will not be accepted without payment of the $25 fee.
      Please do not send duplicate copies (online or snail-mail is
      sufficient). We cannot allow revisions to your story once we have
      received it. Due to the high volume of submissions and the small size
      of our office, we will not be able to notify you when we receive your
      story. The winner will be selected by Jennifer Egan and notified by
      early May. As soon as the winner is selected, his or her name will be
      posted to this page.

      Note
      Contestants who submit online or provide their email address will be
      added to the Selected Shorts email list - please let us know if you do
      not wish to receive email about upcoming programs.

      The Prize
      $1000 and two tickets to the June 8th Selected Shorts at Symphony
      Space, when the prizewinning story will be read.
      About this year's guest judge
      Jennifer Egan is the author of The Invisible Circus, Look at Me, a
      finalist for the National Book Award, and the bestselling The Keep, as
      well as a short story collection, Emerald City. She has published short
      fiction in The New Yorker, Harper's, McSweeney's and Ploughshares,
      among others, and her journalism appears frequently in the New York
      Times Magazine. She is the recipient of a National Endowment for the
      Arts Fellowship and a Guggenheim Fellowship, and was recently a fellow
      at the Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center for Scholars and Writers at
      the New York Public Library. She lives in Brooklyn with her husband
      and sons. Her new book, A Visit from the Goon Squad, was published in
      June and her short story Safari was selected by Richard Russo for Best
      American Short Stories 2010, to be published in October.