Ruth Stone Poetry Prize
What is the Ruth Stone Poetry Prize?
An annual poetry contest. A chance for your poems to be read by Hunger Mountain editors and guest judges!
What will the winner receive?
One first place winner receives $1000 and publication!
Two honorable mentions receive $100 and publication.
Who can enter the contest?
Who is this year's judge?
The 2011 judge is Claudia Emerson, author of Late Wife, winner of the 2006 Pulitzer Prize for poetry.
When is the deadline?
The postmark deadline is December 10th.
What are the guidelines?
* $20 entry fee. Make checks payable to "Vermont College of Fine Arts" or pay with a credit card on paypal (go to http://www.hungermtn.org/ruth-stone-poetry-prize/
for Paypal link)
* Entries must be postmarked by December 10th
* Submit up to three poems, not to exceed six pages
* Poems must be original, written in English, and previously unpublished
* Your name or address should not appear anywhere on the poems
* You may submit via our online submission manager or by snail mail
* If you mail your entry, enclose an index card with poem titles, your name, address, phone number, and email address
* If you mail your entry, enclose an SASE for notification of winners
* You may also enclose a postage-paid postcard for acknowledgement of entry (if you'd like)
* Entries must be typed, and on one side of the paper only
* If using the mail, use a paper clip or send unboundno staples or binding, please
* Once submitted, entries cannot be altered
* All entries will be considered for general publication as well as for the RSPP
* No translations please
* Multiple entries allowedeach entry must include a separate entry fee
* No entries will be returned
* Email hungermtn(at)vermontcollege.edu if questions arise
(replace (at) with @ in sending e-mail)
To submit online go to the Hunger Mountain online submission manager. Please submit only one file, with up to three poems. The online submission manager will ask you to choose a genre for your submission. Although, the genre is indeed poetry, please instead choose Ruth Stone Poetry Prize.
To submit via the mail, send Ruth Stone Poetry entries to:
Vermont College of Fine Arts
36 College Street
Montpelier, VT 05602
Include a check for $20.00 payable to "Vermont College of Fine Arts" or pay using a credit card on paypal
Pay pal link at
(scroll to bottom of page)