poetry and fiction book contests: BkMk Press
- The John Ciardi Prize for Poetry
Next Postmark deadline: January 15, 2011
For the best book-length collections of poetry and of short fiction in English by a living author
Prize: $1,000 and publication of winning book for each prize
* Manuscripts must be typed on standard-sized paper, in English. Poetry manuscripts should be approximately 50 pages minimum, 110 pages maximum, single spaced. Short fiction collections should be approximately 125 pages minimum, 300 pages maximum, double spaced.
* Entries must include two title pages: one with author name, address and phone number; and one with no author information. Any acknowledgments should appear on a separate piece of paper.
* Entries must include a table of contents.
* Author's name must not appear anywhere on the manuscript.
* Please submit your manuscript in loose pages, bound only with a clip or rubber band. We prefer that you do not staple or permanently bind your manuscript. Do not submit your manuscript by fax or e-mail.
* Simultaneous and multiple submissions are acceptable. Please notify us of acceptance elsewhere.
* A SASE should be included, for notification only. Note: No manuscripts will be returned.
* A non-refundable reading fee of $25 in US funds (check made payable to BkMk Press) must accompany each manuscript. Entrants will receive a copy of the winning book in their genre when it is published.
* Manuscripts must be postmarked no later than January 15, 2011.
Manuscripts will not be returned. No refunds will be issued.
Judging will be blind at all levels. Initial judging will be done by a network of published writers and editors. The final judging will be done by a poet and a fiction writer of national reputation. Winners will be announced in July 2011 and the winning entries will be published in 2012.
These competitions are held annually.
John Ciardi Prize for Poetry or Sharat Chandra Prize for Fiction
University of Missouri-Kansas City
5100 Rockhill Road
Kansas City, MO 64110-2499
Fax (816) 235-2611
<bkmk(at)umkc.edu> (replace (at) with @)