The Kenneth and Geraldine Gell Poetry Prize 2011
The Kenneth and Geraldine Gell Poetry Prize is awarded annually by
Writers & Books for an outstanding unpublished book-length collection
of poetry. The poet will receive an honorarium of $1000, publication
of the collection (in paperback, in the fall following the award,
with Big Pencil Press), and a two-week fellowship at the Gell Center
of the Finger Lakes.
Eligibility: Open to poets who are citizens or legal residents of the
United States, are at least 18 years of age, and are not employees or
relatives of employees of Writers & Books, Inc.
Judge for 2011: William Heyen
• Manuscripts must be postmarked September 1, to November 30, 2010.
Any manuscripts mailed outside of that period cannot be accepted.
• Manuscripts cannot be accepted by email.
• Submit a book-length manuscript of poems (no illustrations), 50 to
100 pages in length.
• Download the entry form from www.wab.org, fill it out, and attach
it to your manuscript. To receive an entry form by mail, send a self-
addressed stamped envelope to Writers & Books at the address below.
• Manuscripts must be the author’s own original work. No
• Include an entry fee of $25 (non-refundable) by check or money
order payable to Writers & Books. If you send more than one
manuscript, each must be accompanied by a separate entry form and a
• As work will be judged anonymously, each manuscript must include
two cover pages. The first must have the book’s title, author’s name,
and all the author’s contact information. The second must have the
book title only, with no author’s name and no contact information. Do
not include a bio note, or any other feature that might include the
author’s real name or pen name.
• Format: Use regular white 8 ½ X 11” paper, black ink, with font of
11- or 12- points. One poem per page. Use double space or space-and-a-
half—please no single-spaced manuscripts. Absolutely no handwritten
manuscripts will be accepted.
• You must notify Writers & Books immediately by phone or by mail if
your manuscript wins another competition, or is accepted for
• Poems in your manuscript may have been published in magazines,
journals, on line, in anthologies, or in a chapbook. But the
manuscript as a whole must be unpublished as a single book.
Previously self-published books are not eligible.
• Winner will be notified not later than March 8, 2011.
• Include a self-addressed, stamped postcard if you want to be
assured that the manuscript has been received.
• Include a self-addressed, stamped No. 10 business envelope if you
want to receive contest winner notification.
• Once a book has been sent, do not send changes or new pages for
insertion. If your manuscript wins, you will have a chance to make
changes before publication.
• Manuscripts will not be returned; do not send postage stamps or
mailer for the return of a manuscript.
• The foregoing information is the complete listed guidelines. Do not
call Writers & Books for further information.
Send manuscript, check, and entry form to:
Writers & Books
740 University Ave.,
Rochester, NY 14607.