call for literary submissions about widowhood

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2010
      WIDOWS: Seeking women’s poems and short personal essays about
      experiences of widowhood (de facto or de jure), for an anthology. We
      are a published poet/editor and a scientist/professor of
      neurolinguistics, both widowed. The Widow's Handbook will include
      writing about bereavement (sudden or following an illness/ long vigil),
      mourning rituals, grieving, other people’s responses, coping
      strategies, spiritual resources, supportive people in the author’s life
      (or lack thereof), evolving social life (isolation, work, friends,
      dating), and rebuilding (including but not limited to finding a new
      love or focus). Some of the writers whose work we know we’d like to
      include are already published widely, but the book will also give
      less-known poets an opportunity to be read on this challenging topic.
      We hope to send out a book proposal next year. Once we have chosen the
      work to be included, the manuscript will be submitted to trade
      publishers. Deadline: June 30, 2011. Please send submissions with a
      stamped SASE for reply to: The Widow's Handbook, 1427 Commonwealth Ave.
      #401, Brighton, MA 02135.