call for poems: protestpoems.org

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2010
      protestpoems.org is a poetry journal entirely devoted to, and fully
      committed to, new poetry that tackles human rights issues worldwide.

      The journal strives to present the best poems of protest written to
      promote freedom of speech and human rights. It is updated fortnightly.
      We publish a maximum six poems a month to keep a steady flow of
      relevant protests. Although we update the journal often, we are very
      selective. We are looking for edge.

      The website and mailing lists provide information about persecuted
      writers, along with letters of protest ready for our subscribers to cut
      and paste. To receive emails (once a month, on average) with protest
      information focused on a specific persecuted writer, send an email to
      write(at)protestpoems.org. Please write SUBSCRIBE in your subject line.

      Planned remaining publication dates for the remainder of 2010 are :

      06 Nov
      20 Nov
      04 Dec
      18 Dec

      The first 2011 edition will be on 08 Jan 2011

      Submission guidelines

      It’s simple.

      We’re not looking for partisan propaganda. We’re not looking for
      party-political mouthings. We’re not looking for sentimental depictions
      of what you see on the TV. We’re not looking for rhyming greetings card
      verses.

      We want you to champion, not yourselves, but human rights; the rights
      of those who don’t have the freedom to write and speak as we do. Rage.
      Celebrate. Mourn. Demand. Scream. Dance.

      Formal complaints are especially exciting. There’s something
      wonderfully subversive about a villanelle that attacks a government
      deliberately making the same mistake over and over again.

      If you need to be inspired, read the Universal Declaration of Human
      Rights. Then check out any objective newsfeed or news site.

      Paste your poems (a maximum of 3 one-page poems), into the body of an
      email and send to <write(at)protestpoems.org> (replace (at) with @ when
      sending e-mail). If necessary, you can email a single .doc or .rtf file
      containing all the poems you are submitting.

      Include a brief bio.

      We will accept poems previously published on paper, as long as you hold
      the copyright. We will not accept poems which are already (or have
      previously been) published online (including blogs). We will publish a
      poet only once a year.

      If your poem deals with a specific call for action, or commemorates a
      specific person, please let us know.

      We look forward to reading your poems.