literary contests: Prism International

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2010
      Prism International is currently receiving entries for our 2011 literary contests! Entry fees for all contests are $28, and additional entries can be added for $7 each. Every participant receives a one-year subscription to Prism International.

      The Non-Fiction Contest deadline of November 30, 2010 is fast approaching. The grand prize is $1500, and this contest is being judged by Brian Brett, a poet, novelist and non-fiction writer whose latest book, Trauma Farm: A Rebel History of Rural Life, won the 2009 Writers' Trust Non-Fiction Prize.

      The Short Fiction Contest deadline is January 29, 2011. A $2000 grand prize is awarded for the best original, unpublished story and the winner receives publication payment in the Fiction and Poetry Contest Issue. Three runner-up prizes of $200 are also conferred. Works of translation are eligible. Our fiction judge this year is John K. Samson, lead singer of The Weakerthans and founding member of Arbeiter Ring Publishing.

      The Poetry Contest also has a deadline of January 29, 2011. A $1000 grand prize is awarded for the best original, unpublished poem and the winner receives publication payment in the Fiction and Poetry Contest Issue. $300 and $200 are awarded to the runners-up. Entries may include up to three poems, and works of translation are eligible. This year's poetry judge is Vancouver poet laureate, Brad Cran. He is a contributing editor at Geist magazine, and you can read some of his work on their site.

      Contest entries must be sent to Prism through snail mail, accompanied by an entry form and cheque or receipt of credit card payment. For entry forms and the option to pay fees by credit card, please visit Prism's contest page at
      http://prismmagazine.ca/contests/

      Entries can be sent to:

      Prism International
      Creative Writing Program