poetry book contest: U of Arkansas Press
- The Miller Williams Arkansas Poetry Prize
Enid Shomer, Series Editor
The University of Arkansas Press publishes four books of poetry annually.
The University of Arkansas Press Poetry Series' annual $5000 Miller Williams Arkansas Poetry Prize
For submissions in September and October of 2010
One winner and up to three finalists will be published in 2012
In addition to publication, the winner will receive the $5,000 Miller Williams Arkansas Poetry Prize.
The poetry prize is named in honor of Miller Williams, one of America’s finest poets and cofounder and first director of the University of Arkansas Press. Williams was also a codirector of the University of Arkansas’s nationally recognized creative writing program. As the director of the UA Press, Williams published the work of many outstanding poets and writers, including that of Billy Collins, Ellen Gilchrist, Robert Mezey, R. S. Thomas, Frank Stanford, and John Ciardi. He is known to many as the poet who read a poem at Bill Clinton’s 1997 presidential inauguration.
View the 2011 Press Release.
View the 2010 Press Release.
The University of Arkansas Press invites submissions of manuscripts each fall for its poetry series, now in its twenty-eighth year. We are committed to publishing diverse kinds of poetry by a diversity of poets. The only criterion is excellence.
SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY):
1. The series is open to all book-length manuscripts by a single author of 60 to 90 pages, except translations. Individual poems may have been published in chapbooks, journals, and anthologies.
2. The editor requests that her friends and current or former students refrain from submitting to the series.
3. We request that anyone whose manuscript has been previously selected for publication in our poetry series wait three years from publication before submitting another manuscript for consideration in the series. For example: if your book was published in 2008 you may not resubmit until Sept. 1, 2011.
4. No more than one manuscript per author, please.
5. Submissions will be accepted annually during the months of September and October. The postmark deadline for entries is October 31. Please do not send revisions once you have sent a manuscript. Up to four manuscripts will be chosen by the following July 1, one of which will win the $5,000 prize.
6. Manuscripts should be typed or machine-printed, single-spaced, with no more than one poem per page. Please do not include an acknowledgments page. No electronic submissions will be considered.
7. There is a reading fee of $25 payable by check or money order to the University of Arkansas Press. Please do not send cash.
8. Simultaneously submitted manuscripts are allowed provided we are notified immediately of acceptance elsewhere.
9. All entries will be judged anonymously. Please enclose two title pages with your submission: one page should include only the title of the manuscript and the other should list the title of the manuscript and the poet’s name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, and a brief, biographical statement. The poet’s name must not appear anywhere else in the manuscript.
10. If you wish to be notified that your manuscript was received, please include an SAS postcard.
11. If you submit a #10 SASE along with your manuscript, you will be notified of our decisions by July 1. Otherwise, check our Web site in mid-July (www.uapress.com), where the winners will be announced.
12. Manuscripts will be recycled rather than returned.
13. Send your manuscript and reading fee to:
The Miller Williams Arkansas Poetry Prize
University of Arkansas Press
105 N. McIlroy Ave.
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Please contact Katy Henriksen at <khenrik(at)uark.edu> (replace (at) with @)
khenrik@... if you have any questions about the submission requirements.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]