fiction chapbook contest: Burnside Review

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 7, 2007
      2nd Annual Burnside Review Fiction Chapbook Competition
      http://burnsidereview.org/contests.php

      Judge: Aimee Bender
      We are sponsoring our second annual fiction chapbook competition. Winner will
      receive twenty-five copies and a two hundred dollar cash. Competition runs
      September 15th to December 31st. Winner will be announced approximately March
      1st, with publication date set for summer. The same dedication and care will go
      into the production of the chapbook as with our journal—quality cardstock
      cover with photography, linen paper, excellent layout. We will make the
      publication process as cooperative as possible.

      Guidelines

      Contest runs September 15-December 31st (postmark date).
      Please include in a 9?12 envelope:

      —Up to 10,000 words of fiction. This can be one longer story or multiple
      shorter pieces. The writer’s name should appear nowhere on the manuscript.
      —2 cover sheets, one with the title of the manuscript, your name, telephone
      number, and address. The second cover sheet should list only the title of the
      manuscript.
      —A page acknowledging previously published work.
      —A self addressed stamped envelope
      —A check or money order for $15- made out to Burnside Review.
      —Mail by December 31st to: Burnside Review Fiction Contest, 24991 Crystal
      Circle, Lake Forest CA 92630

      The initial readers of the manuscripts will be Burnside Review staff members.
      They will choose between five and ten manuscripts as finalists to be passed
      on to the judge for selection of the winning collection.

      We ask that former students or colleagues of the Burnside Review Chapbook
      Contest’s judge—as well as any writer whose relationship with the judge
      constitutes an unfair conflict of interest—refrain from entering the contest. The
      Burnside Review staff reserves the right to disqualify entries deemed conflicts of
      interest and will return those entry fees.

      At no time will the judge have the names of the finalists.

      Winner will receive 25 copies of the chapbook printed by Burnside Review
      Press and a cash prize of $200.

      All questions happily answered by e-mail, contact Sid:
      sid(at)burnsidereview.org (replace (at) with @).

      Aimee Bender lives in Los Angeles and teaches creative writing at the
      University of Southern California. Her stories have appeared in Granta, GQ, Story,
      Harper’s, Paris Review and many others. She has published three books, The Girl
      in the Flammable Skirt, An Invisible Sign of My Own and Willful Creatures:
      Stories.

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 7, 2007
        2nd Annual Burnside Review Fiction Chapbook Competition
        (www.burnsidereview.org)
        Judge: Aimee Bender

        We are sponsoring our second annual fiction chapbook competition. Winner will
        receive twenty-five copies and a two hundred dollar cash prize. Competition
        runs September 15th to December 31st. Winner will be announced approximately
        March 1st, with publication date set for summer. The same dedication and care
        will go into the production of the chapbook as with our journal—quality
        cardstock cover with photography, linen paper, excellent layout. We will make the
        publication process as cooperative as possible.

        Guidelines

        Contest runs September 15-December 31st (postmark date).

        —Up to 10,000 words of fiction. This can be one longer story or multiple
        shorter pieces. The writer’s name should appear nowhere on the manuscript.
        —2 cover sheets, one with the title of the manuscript, your name, telephone
        number, and address. The second cover sheet should list only the title of the
        manuscript.
        —A page acknowledging previously published work.

        IF BY POST: Include a self addressed stamped envelope and a check or money
        order for $15- made out to Burnside Review. Entry must be postmarked by December
        31st to: Burnside Review Fiction Contest, 24991 Crystal Circle, Lake Forest
        CA 92630.
        IF BY ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION: E-mail all of above a single Word file to
        contests(at)burnsidereview.org (replace (at) with @). Go to the Purchase page
        <http://www.burnsidereview.org/purchase.htm>. On the bottom of the screen is
        a button for a $16- entry. Fee and entry must be submitted within 24 hours of
        each other. Receipt of entry will be sent after both arrive. (This is the
        preferred method saving you money and the world trees.)

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 10, 2008
          3rd Annual Burnside Review
          Fiction Chapbook Competition

          Judge: Charles D'Ambrosio

          We are sponsoring our second annual fiction chapbook competition. Winner
          will receive twenty-five copies and a two hundred dollar cash prize.
          Competition runs September 15th to December 31st. Winner will be announced
          approximately March 1st, with publication date set for summer. The same
          dedication and care will go into the production of the chapbook as with
          our journal—quality cardstock cover with photography, linen paper,
          excellent layout. We will make the publication process as cooperative as
          possible.

          Guidelines

          Contest runs September 15th-December 31st.

          --Up to 10,000 words of fiction. This can be one longer story or multiple
          shorter pieces. The writer's name should appear nowhere on the manuscript.
          --2 cover sheets, one with the title of the manuscript, your name,
          telephone number, and address. The second cover sheet should list only the
          title of the manuscript.
          --A page acknowledging previously published work.

          IF BY POST: Include a self-addressed stamped envelope and a check or money
          order for $15.00 made out to Burnside Review. Entry must be postmarked by
          December 31st to: Burnside Review Fiction Contest, P.O. Box 1782, Portland
          OR 97207.
          IF BY ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION: E-mail all of above as a single Word file to
          contests@.... Send $16.00 by Paypal to
          sid@.... Fee and entry must be submitted within 24 hours of
          each other. Receipt of entry will be sent after both arrive. (This method
          will save money and trees.)

          The initial readers of the manuscripts will be Burnside Review staff
          members. They will choose between five and ten manuscripts as finalists to
          be passed on to the judge for selection of the winning collection.

          We ask that former students or colleagues of the Burnside Review Chapbook
          Contest's judge—as well as any writer whose relationship with the judge
          constitutes an unfair conflict of interest—refrain from entering the
          contest. The Burnside Review staff reserves the right to disqualify
          entries deemed conflicts of interest and will return those entry fees.

          At no time will the judge have the names of the finalists.

          Winner will receive 25 copies of the chapbook printed by Burnside Review
          Press and a cash prize of $200-.

          All questions happily answered by e-mail: sid(at)burnsidereview.org (editor),
          or kyle(at)burnsidereview.org (fiction editor). (replace (at) with @)

          Charles D'Ambrosio is the author of two collections of short stories, The
          Point and The Dead Fish Museum. His fiction has appeared in The New
          Yorker, The Paris Review, Zoetrope All-Story, and A Public Space.

          Complete guidelines available at www.burnsidereview.org
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 14, 2008
            3rd Annual Burnside Review Fiction Chapbook Competition

            http://www.burnsidereview.org/contests.php

            Judge: Charles D’Ambrosio

            We are sponsoring our second annual fiction chapbook competition. Winner will receive twenty-five copies and a two hundred dollar cash prize. Competition runs September 15th to December 31st. Winner will be announced approximately March 1st, with publication date set for summer. The same dedication and care will go into the production of the chapbook as with our journal—quality cardstock cover with photography, linen paper, excellent layout. We will make the publication process as cooperative as possible.

            Guidelines

            Contest runs September 15th-December 31st.

            —Up to 10,000 words of fiction. This can be one longer story or multiple shorter pieces. The writer’s name should appear nowhere on the manuscript.

            —2 cover sheets, one with the title of the manuscript, your name, telephone number, and address. The second cover sheet should list only the title of the manuscript.

            —A page acknowledging previously published work.

            IF BY POST: Include a self addressed stamped envelope and a check or money order for $15- made out to Burnside Review. Entry must be postmarked by December 31st to: Burnside Review Fiction Contest, P.O. Box 1782, Portland OR 97207.

            IF BY ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION: E-mail all of above a single Word file to contests@.... Submit the $16- entry fee by going to the purchase page20of this website and following the contest entry fee link. Fee and entry must be submitted within 24 hours of each other. Receipt of entry will be send after both arrive. (This method will save money and trees.)

            All questions happily answered by e-mail :<sid(at)burnsidereview.org> (replace (at) with @)

             sid@....

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
              3rd Annual Burnside Review Fiction Chapbook Competition

              Judge: Pauls Toutonghi

              IF BY ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION: E-mail all of above a single Word file to contests@.... Send $16- by Paypal to

              <sid(at)burnsidereview.org> (replace (at) with @). Fee and entry must be submitted within 24 hours of each other. Receipt of entry will be send after both arrive. (This method will save money and trees.)

              The initial readers of the manuscripts will be Burnside Review staff members. They will choose between five and ten manuscripts as finalists to be passed on to the judge for selection of the winning collection.

              We ask that former students or colleagues of the Burnside Review Chapbook Contest’s judge—as well as any writer wh
              ose relationship with the judge constitutes an unfair conflict of interest—refrain from entering the contest. The Burnside Review staff reserves the right to disqualify entries deemed conflicts of interest and will return those entry fees.

              At no time will the judge have the names of the finalists.

              Winner will receive 25 copies of the chapbook printed by Burnside Review Press and a cash prize of $200-.

              All questions happily answered by e-mail : <sid(at)burnsidereview.org> (replace (at) with @)

              Pauls Toutonghi was born in Seattle, Washington, in 1976. His first novel, Red Weather, was published by Random House in 2006. He teaches at Lewis and Clark College.

              =

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 26, 2009

                IF BY ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION: E-mail all of above a single Word file to <contests(at)burnsidereview.org> (replace (at) with @). Send $16- by Paypal to <sid(at)burnsidereview.org> (replace (at) with @). Fee and entry must be submitted within 24 hours of each other. Receipt of entry will be send after both arrive. (This method will save money and trees.)

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 20, 2010
                  5th Annual Burnside Review Fiction Chapbook Competition

                  Judge: Kevin Sampsell

                  We are sponsoring our fifth annual fiction chapbook competition. Winner will receive twenty-five copies and a two hundred dollar cash prize. Competition runs September 15th to December 31st. Winner will be announced approximately March 1st, with publication date set for summer. The same dedication and care will go into the production of the chapbook as with our journal—quality cardstock cover with photography, linen paper, excellent layout. We will make the publication process as cooperative as possible.

                  Guidelines

                  Contest runs September 15th-December 31st.

                  —Up to 10,000 words of fiction. This can be one longer story or multiple shorter pieces. The writer’s name should appear nowhere on the manuscript.
                  —2 cover sheets, one with the title of the manuscript, your name, telephone number, and address. The second cover sheet should list only the title of the manuscript.
                  —A page acknowledging previously published work.

                  IF BY POST: Include a self addressed stamped envelope and a check or money order for $15- made out to Burnside Review. Entry must be postmarked by December 31st to: Burnside Review Fiction Contest, P.O. Box 1782, Portland OR 97207.
                  IF BY ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION: E-mail all of above a single Word file to
                  <contests(at)burnsidereview.org>
                  Send $16- by Paypal to
                  <sid(at)burnsidereview.org>
                  sid@.... Fee and entry must be submitted within 24 hours of each other. Receipt of entry will be send after both arrive. (This method will save money and trees.)

                  The initial readers of the manuscripts will be Burnside Review staff members. They will choose between five and ten manuscripts as finalists to be passed on to the judge for selection of the winning collection.

                  We ask that former students or colleagues of the Burnside Review Chapbook Contest’s judge—as well as any writer whose relationship with the judge constitutes an unfair conflict of interest—refrain from entering the contest. The Burnside Review staff reserves the right to disqualify entries deemed conflicts of interest and will return those entry fees.

                  At no time will the judge have the names of the finalists.

                  Winner will receive 25 copies of the chapbook printed by Burnside Review Press and a cash prize of $200-.

                  All questions happily answered by e-mail :
                  <sid(at)burnsidereview.org> (replace (at) with @)
                  sid@....

                  Kevin Sampsell lives in Portland, Oregon, where he run the independent Future Tense Press . His newest book is A Common Pornography (HarperCollins).

                  complete guidelines available at www.burnsidereview.org
                  =

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 27, 2010

                    <contests(at)burnsidereview.org> (replace (at) with @ in sending
                    e-mail). Send $16- by Paypal to sid@.... Fee and entry

                    complete guidelines available at www.burnsidereview.org
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 5 6:59 AM
                      2012 Burnside Review Poetry Chapbook Competition
                      http://www.burnsidereview.org/contests.php
                      Judge: Emily Kendal Frey

                      We are sponsoring our eighth annual poetry chapbook competition. Winner will receive ten copies and a two hundred dollar cash prize. Competition runs March 15th to June 30th. Winner will be announced approximately September 1st, with publication date set for winter. The same dedication and care will go into the production of the chapbook as with our journal—quality original cover art, linen paper, excellent layout. We will make the publication process as cooperative as possible.

                      Guidelines

                      Contest runs March 15th-June 30th.

                      —18 to 24 pages of poetry. Individual poems may be previously published. The writer's name should appear nowhere on the manuscript.
                      —2 cover sheets, one with the title of the manuscript, your name, telephone number, and address. The second cover sheet should list only the title of the manuscript.
                      —A page acknowledging previously published work.

                      IF BY POST: Include a self addressed stamped envelope and a check or money order for $15- made out to Burnside Review. Entry must be postmarked by June 30th to: Burnside Review Fiction Contest, P.O. Box 1782, Portland OR 97207.
                      IF BY ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION: E-mail all of above a single Word file to contests@.... Send $16- by Paypal to sid@.... Fee and entry must be submitted within 24 hours of each other. Receipt of entry will be send after both arrive. (This method will save money and trees.)

                      The initial readers of the manuscripts will be Burnside Review staff members. They will choose between five and ten manuscripts as finalists to be passed on to the judge for selection of the winning collection.

                      We ask that former students or colleagues of the Burnside Review Chapbook Contest's judge—as well as any writer whose relationship with the judge constitutes an unfair conflict of interest—refrain from entering the contest. The Burnside Review staff reserves the right to disqualify entries deemed conflicts of interest and will return those entry fees.

                      At no time will the judge have the names of the finalists.

                      Winner will receive 10 copies of the chapbook printed by Burnside Review Press and a cash prize of $200-.

                      All questions happily answered by e-mail : <sid(at)burnsidereview.org> (replace (at) with @ in sending email)

                      EMILY KENDAL FREY is the author of The Grief Performance (published by Cleveland State University Poetry Center in 2011) as well as several chapbooks and chapbook collaborations. She lives in Portland and teaches at PCC.