call for submissions: Sou'wester

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 22, 2010
      SOU’WESTER, a literary journal founded in 1960 and housed at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, is now accepting poetry and fiction submissions for a special issue, “Ekphrastic Fiction and Formal Verse.”
      Plenty of brainy folks from Plato to present have defined and redefined ekphrasis. What we want to investigate are its possibilities as a gesture/element/device in the work of contemporary fiction writers. Whether your piece contains an ekphrastic moment or entails an overall ekphrastic response – we want to read it.
      We define poetic form as an adherence to or interpretation of the kinds of patterns that shape poems. We love poems that follow the prescribed structure and we love poems that reinterpret, reinvent, or just make up a structure. In that spirit, send us your sonnets, pantoums, villanelles, kwansabas, bops, and sestinas. Send us your blues poems, your luc-bats, ghazals, and any of the other types of formal verse we don’t have space to list.
      Writers whose work is accepted for the issue will be asked to write a brief (100-150 word) statement about their understanding of ekphrasis in contemporary fiction or form in contemporary verse.
      To submit, please use our online submission system. Info can be found at:
      http://www.siue.edu/ENGLISH/SW/submit.html.

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 29, 2013
        Sou'wester magazine is now reading for its Fall 2013 and Spring 2014 issues.
        All submitters who have not yet published a book are eligible for the Robbins Prize,
        which will be awarded to one poet and one prose writer whose work was published
        in the current volume. The award will include a cash prize of $100. The awardees
        will be selected by the editors.
        For details, please see: https://sw.submittable.com/submit
        or souwester.org.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 25, 2014

          Please post the following announcement:

          Sou'wester is now accepting poetry, fiction, and nonfiction submissions for its
          upcoming Fall and Spring issues. Writers who have not yet published a book are
          eligible for our annual Emerging Writer Awards and receive a prize of $100.

          For details and to submit, please visit: http://souwester.org/?page_id=538