call for submissions: The Common

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 21, 2010
      The Common is a new literary magazine based at Amherst College that publishes literature and images with a strong sense of place. We are currently seeking stories, poems, and essays for Issue 01 (Spring 2011). We accept translations for which translators hold the appropriate rights.

      Contributors to our prototype, Issue 00, include Ted Conover, Yehudit Ben-Zvi Heller, Honor Moore, Sabina Murray, Mary Jo Salter, Don Share, and Jim Shepard. The submissions period is September 15 – December 1.

      Please visit www.thecommononline.org for complete guidelines.

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2011
        The Common publishes fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and images that embody particular times and places both real and imagined: art powerful enough to reach from there to here. Previously published authors include Rafael Campo, Ted Conover, Lauren Groff, Honor Moore, Sabina Murray, Mary Jo Salter, Jim Shepard, and Marina Tsvetaeva. Poetry submissions are closed due to a specially curated portfolio of work from South Africa in Issue 03, but will reopen in the spring. However, subscribers may continue to submit their work, in any genre, year-round. Reading period for Issue 03 is from September 15th through December 15st. Visit www.thecommononline.org for more information.