writing contest: Springfield Writers Guild
2010 Springfield Writers Guild
17th Annual Literary Awards
Jim Stone Grand Prize Memorial Awards
#1 Poetry any subject, any form Limit: 1 page, single spaced
#2 Fiction any subject Limit: 1,500 words
#3 Non-Fiction any subject Limit: 1,500 words
Awards for categories #1 - #3:
1st place - $100 and certificate Two Honorable Mentions and certificate
($3 per entry for categories 1-3)
(Limit of 1,000 words/entry) (Limit of one single-spaced page)
#4 Essay or Article Ozarks Related #9 Rhyming any subject or form
#5 Short Story any genre #10 Humorous Verse any form
#6 Nostalgia/Reminiscence #11 Free Verse any subject
#7 Humor any subject #12 Haiku traditional (5,7,5 nature theme)
#8 Essay or Opinion Piece
Awards for categories #4 - #12:
1st place - $20 and certificate 2nd place - $10 and certificate
3rd place $5 and certificate One Honorable mention and certificate
($2 per entry for categories 4-12)
1. All entries must be the original, unpublished work of the contestant.
2. Do not enter the same prose or poetry in more than one category
3. All manuscripts must be typed on 8½ x 11 paper in standard manuscript form. Prose must be double-spaced and
poetry must be single-spaced. All entries must have a title except the haiku.
4. Place the category name and number, plus the word count for prose, in the upper left corner of each entry.
List the poetry form where applicable.
5. DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ON THE ENTRY. Include a cover sheet listing ALL entries by category, name,
number, title, and the first line of the manuscript or poem. Put your name, address, phone number and email address
on the cover sheet.
6. Keep all originals; no copies will be returned. No entries/winners will be published.
7. Winners will be announced and awards given at the October 2010 regular S.W.G. meeting or mailed to those unable
8. DEADLINE: All entries must be postmarked no later than October 1, 2010. SWG is not responsible for lost,
misdirected, or postage-due entries.
9. For a list of winners, please include a SASE with your entry.
10. There is no limit on entries per category. However, no entrant may win more than one award per category entered,
regardless of the number of entries.
11. Any entry that does not follow these guidelines will be immediately disqualified without reimbursement.
Mail contest fees and entries to:
Dr. Jerry Wible, SWG Contest
2987 E. Kemmling Lane
Springfield, MO 65804
For more information:
Email: jwible@... or mandybarke@...
Phone: Jerry (417) 889-8370 or Mandy (417) 830-7660
Make all checks payable to: Springfield Writers' Guild Contest.