poetry book contest: Juniper Prize for Poetry
- 2010-2011 Submissions: In 2010, we will be considering only manuscripts by writers who had already published at least one full-length book or chapbook of poetry. Submissions will only be accepted with a postmark between August 1 and September 30, 2010. The entry fee will be $25, and all manuscripts will be judged anonymously by a panel of distinguished poets. The award winner will be announced at our website in April 2011, with a publication scheduled for April 2012.
Below, please find a complete list of the Juniper Prize for Poetry guidelines. If you have questions about the competition, please contact the competition coordinator, Carla Potts, via email at <potts(at)umpress.umass.edu>.
1. Manuscripts must be paginated and be between 50 and 70 pages in typescript.
2. Each submission should have two cover pagesone listing the title of the manuscript and the author's name, address, phone number, and email address; and a second page listing only the title. The author's name should not appear after the first cover page.
3. Include the following along with your manuscript:
a. Paginated contents page.
b. List of acknowledgments for poems in the manuscript that have been published or are slated for publication in literary journals and/or anthologies.
c. The following information about any previously published books: title, page count, publisher, and year of publication.
d. Payment of a $25.00 non-refundable entry fee (check or money order payable in U.S. dollars / drawn on a U.S. bank, to Juniper Prize, University of Massachusetts Press). Please indicate "POETRY / your manuscript title" in the memo field on the check.
e. Manuscripts will not be returned. If you wish, you may also include a self-addressed, stamped post card for confirmation of receipt.
Dates for submission
1. All manuscripts must be submitted between August 1 and September 30 with a postmark no later than September 30.
2. Send submissions to:
Juniper Prize for Poetry
University of Massachusetts Press
East Experiment Station, 671 N. Pleasant Street
Amherst, MA 01003
3. The Press assumes no responsibility for lost or damaged manuscripts, and we suggest that you retain a copy for your protection.
4. The winner will be notified in April 2011. No information about the winner will be released before the April announcement, and the Press will not be able to provide feedback on manuscripts submitted for competition.
1. Manuscripts by more than one author.
2. Entries of more than one manuscript within the same year.
4. Manuscripts from employees and students of the University of Massachusetts, and former Juniper Prize winners.
You may submit your manuscript to other publishers while it is being considered for this competition, but if it is accepted for publication elsewhere, please notify us immediately.