fiction chapbook contest: Flume Press

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2007
      Fiction Chapbook Contest — Guidelines, Flume Press
      http://www.csuchico.edu/engl/flumepress/

      Eligibility
      You may submit stories that have been published previously as long as your
      manuscript has never been published. If your manuscript is currently under
      consideration elsewhere, you must be prepared to withdraw it from the other press
      immediately if accepted by Flume Press. Please include the appropriate
      acknowledgements for the published stories.
      Rules
      Manuscripts should be 10-12,000 words, not including title, contents, and
      acknowledgements pages. A single story and/or a collection of short shorts is
      acceptable. Please include a cover sheet with your name, address, phone, and
      e-mail address and total word count. Do not put your name on each manuscript page.
      A self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) is necessary for return of your
      manuscript and our comments. The editors provide specific comments on every
      manuscript submitted with an SASE.
      The $20 (US) Reading Fee will be used to provide the cash prize to the winner
      and a copy of the winning chapbook for each submission. Flume is a nonprofit
      press.
      Deadline for submission is December 1, 2007. All manuscripts must be
      postmarked by this date.  Manuscripts with SASE will be returned and the winner
      announced by June 2008.
      Final Judges
      The winner will be selected by final judges from the fiction writing faculty
      at CSU, Chico,  Rob Davidson, author of Field Observations, and Paul Eggers,
      author of Savoirs and How the Water Feels.
      Prize
      The winner will receive $500 and 25 copies of the chapbook. Print run is 500
      copies. Flume Press advertises its chapbooks in national literary magazines.
      Biases
      We are interested in serious literary fiction only, contemporary work that is
      well-crafted and emotionally engaging. No “genre” fiction (e.g., sentimental
      romance, sci-fi, horror) please.
      Collections that are unified in some way—theme, voice, tone, or setting—are
      often our favorites.
      Sample Copies
      If you would like a sample copy, please mail $8 plus $2 shipping to Flume
      Press at CSU, Chico, 400 W. First St., Chico, CA 95929-0830.

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 27, 2007
        Fiction Chapbook Contest: Flume Press

        Contact The Press
        If you have any questions, please contact
        Casey Huff
        Flume Press at CSU, Chico
        400 W. First St.
        Chico, CA 95929-0830
        Phone: 530-898-5983
        E-mail: flumepress(at)csuchico.edu (replace (at) with @)

        2007 Fiction Chapbook Contest Deadline: Dec. 1
        http://www.csuchico.edu/engl/flumepress/

        The Press
        Flume Press was established in 1984 as a small, independent, not-for-profit
        poetry press. In 2001, we became affiliated with California State University,
        Chico's literary editing and creative writing programs. Flume has published 18
        poetry chapbooks.  In 2003, we launched our first fiction chapbook contest.
        The Flume Chapbook Series is supported by our annual Chapbook Contest and
        chapbook sales. Our aim is to help newer writers get the sort of exposure that
        can help them achieve deserved recognition. We publish only one book a year,
        with a print run of 500 copies, and we try to get the book to important readers—
        readers who care about contemporary poetry and fiction, reviewers, and editors
        of literary magazines and small presses. Sample work from several recent
        chapbooks can be read by following the links to the right, under The Flume Chapbook
        Series heading.

        About The Contest
        Flume editors comment on every contest submission with a self-addressed,
        stamped envelope, so writers know what we liked and can determine if their work
        fits our literary biases. Each submission is read by at least two readers on our
        staff.
        Every manuscript entered into our contests is read by at least two readers
        and usually three. The managing editor reads every manuscript. Every chapbook
        contest has two final judges. If the judges cannot agree on a winner, the
        managing editor will break the tie. We like this arrangement because it broadens the
        range of tastes brought to the final selection.
        In 2003, the Flume Chapbook Contest began alternating between short fiction
        and poetry. See below for guidelines for our current contest. Deadline:
        December 1.
        Our next Fiction Chapbook Contest will be in 2007.
        Our next Poetry Chapbook Contest will be in 2008.
        Member: Small Press Center and SPAN.

        Fiction Chapbook Contest — Guidelines
        Eligibility
        You may submit stories that have been published previously as long as your
        manuscript has never been published. If your manuscript is currently under
        consideration elsewhere, you must be prepared to withdraw it from the other press
        immediately if accepted by Flume Press. Please include the appropriate
        acknowledgements for the published stories.
        Rules
        Manuscripts should be 10-12,000 words, not including title, contents, and
        acknowledgements pages. A single story and/or a collection of short stories is
[...]
        Poetry chapbooks available: At Dusk on Naskeag Point, Tina Barr; Concentric
        Circles, Gayle Kaune; Follower of Dusk, Luis Omar Salinas; Shovel Point, Judy
        Lindberg; Staving Off Rapture, Ava Leavell Haymon; Cinnabar, Martha M.
        Vertreace; Whetstone, Joanne Allred; As Close As Possible, Mary Matthews; The Corner
        of Absence, Lynn Kuderko, Eating Nasturtiums, Mary Makofske; Stutter Monk,
        David Graham; The Way Water Moves by John Brehm; The One Blue Thread by Naomi F.
        Chase; Bad Girl at the Altar Rail by Sharon Charde;
        Fiction chapbooks available: I Call This Flirting, Sherrie Flick; The Sheep
        Breeders Dance by Aine Greaney.
        Thanks for your interest in our contest.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 2009
          Fiction Chapbook Competition — Guidelines

          http://www.csuchico.edu/engl/flumepress/

          Eligibility

          You may submit stories that have been published previously as long as your manuscript has
          never been published. If your manuscript is currently under consideration elsewhere, you must
          be prepared to withdraw it from the other press immediately if accepted by Flume Press. Please include the appropriate acknowledgements for any published stories.

          Rules

          Manuscripts should be 10-12,000 words, not including title, contents, and acknowledgements pages. A single story or a collection of short shorts is acceptable. Please include a cover sheet
          with your name, address, phone, and e-mail address and total word count. Do not put your name on each manuscript page.

          A self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) is necessary for results notification. The editors provide comments for all semifinalists and finalists.

          The $20 (US) Reading Fee will be used to provide the cash prize to the winner and help to produce the winning chapbook. Flume is a nonprofit press.

          Deadline for submission: December 1, 2009. All manuscripts must be postmarked by this date.  Manuscripts with SASE will be returned and the winner announced by June 2010.

          Final Judges

          The winner will be selected by final judges Rob Davidson, author of  Field Observations, and Paul Eggers, author of Saviors and How the Water Feels.

          Prize

          The winner will receive $500 and 25 copies of the chapbook. (Authors may purchase additional copies at a=2
          050% discount.) Average print run is 500 copies.  Flume advertises the winning chapbook in national literary magazines following publication.

          Biases

          We are interested in serious literary fiction only, contemporary work that is well-crafted and emotionally engaging. No “genre” fiction (e.g., sentimental romance, sci-fi, horror) please.

          Sample Copies

          If you would like a sample copy, please mail $8 plus $2 shipping to
          Flume Press at CSU, Chico, 400 W. First St., Chico, CA 95929-0830.

          Poetry chapbooks: At Dusk on Naskeag Point, Tina Barr; Concentric Circles, Gayle Kaune; Follower of Dusk, Luis Omar Salinas; Shovel Point, Judy Lindberg;Staving Off Rapture, Ava Leavell Haymon; Cinnabar, Martha M. Vertreace; Whetstone, Joanne Allred; As Close As Possible, Mary Matthews; The Corner of Absence, Lynn Kuderko, Eating Nasturtiums, Mary Makofske; Stutter Monk, David Graham; The Way Water Moves by John Brehm; The One Blue Thread by Naomi F. Chase; Bad Girl at the Altar Rail by Sharon Charde; And Still the Music, Alison Townsend.

          Fiction chapbooks: I Call This Flirting, Sherrie Flick; The Sheep Breeders Dance by Aine Greaney; Mad to Live by Randall Brown.

          Thanks for your interest in our competition.

          2009 Fiction Chapbook Contest – Deadline Dec. 1.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 10, 2009
[...]

            The winner will receive $500 and 25 copies of the chapbook. (Authors may purchase additional copies at a 50%=2