call for submissions: The Village Pariah

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 12, 2010
      The Village Pariah: Call for Submissions for Volume II: Winter 2010
      The Village Pariah, a bi-annual literary journal sponsored by the Mark Twain Boyhood Home and Museum, is accepting submissions for its second issue. We publish poetry, short fiction, creative non-fiction, and other works inspired by the writings and life of Mark Twain, his hometown of Hannibal, Missouri, the Mississippi River, the Midwest, and small town or rural life in America.
      Our theme for this issue is: the juvenile pariah of YOUR village. In The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Twain creates one of the most classic descriptions in all of literature, and America is introduced to its first anti-hero, Huckleberry Finn, “the juvenile pariah of the village” who was “cordially hated and dreaded by all the mothers of the town because he was idle and lawless and vulgar and bad,” but adored by the children of St. Petersburg who wished they could be like him. This topic can be interpreted broadly; it could be the bad boy your parents forbid you to date, the town bully, or someone with a deeper heroic vein, such as the rough-around-the-edges Huckleberry.
      Each issue will also include an introductory essay by an established author, poet, artist, songwriter, etc who speaks of Twain’s influence on his or her art or life. We welcome writings from established writers, as well as those who are new and unpublished.
      Electronic submissions only. Please limit poetry to five poems and prose to 3000 words. Entries should be emailed as an attachment to
      <thevillagepariah(at)yahoo.com> or <thevillagepariah(at)marktwainmuseum.org> (replace (at) with @)
      Please include name, contact information, and a short bio along with your submission. Our reading period is now open and entries will be accepted until November 1, 2010.

      Visit our website (http://www.marktwainmuseum.org/index.php/community-projects/the-village-pariah) for more information. All proceeds from the journal go to support the Mark Twain Boyhood Home and Museum.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 12, 2010
        The Village Pariah: Call for Submissions for Volume II: Winter 2010
        http://is.gd/fYtMT

        Electronic submissions only. Please limit poetry to five poems and prose to 3000 words. Entries should be emailed as an attachment to <thevillagepariah(at)yahoo.com>(replace (at) with @)

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
          Call for Submissions
          for Spring/Summer 2011 Issue (Vol. 2, No. 1)

          The Village Pariah, a bi-annual literary journal sponsored by the Mark
          Twain Boyhood Home and Museum, is accepting submissions for its third
          issue. We publish poetry, short fiction, creative non-fiction, and
          other works inspired by the writings and life of Mark Twain, his
          hometown of Hannibal, Missouri, the Mississippi River, the Midwest, and
          small town or rural life in America.

          Our theme for this issue is: TRAVEL. In Tom Sawyer Abroad Huck said, "I
          have found out there ain't no surer way to find out whether you like
          people or hate them than to travel with them." Sound familiar? Send us
          your travel memoirs and miseries in prose, fiction, poetry, or journal
          format. You might also find some inspiration in Twain's words from The
          Innocents Abroad: "Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice, and
          narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these
          accounts. Broad wholesome charitable views of men and things cannot be
          acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's
          lifetime."

          Each issue will also include an introductory essay by an established
          author, poet, artist, songwriter, etc who speaks of Twain’s influence
          on his or her art or life. We welcome writings from established
          writers, as well as those who are new and unpublished.

          Electronic submissions only. Please email submissions to
          <thevillagepariah(at)yahoo.com> or
          <thevillagepariah(at)marktwainmuseum.org>.
          (replace (at) with @ in sending e-mail)

          Please limit poetry to five poems and prose to 3000 words. Entries
          should be sent as a Word document in an email attachment. Please
          include name, contact information, and a short bio along with your
          submission. Our reading period is now open and entries will be
          accepted until August 1, 2011.

          All proceeds from the journal go to support the Mark Twain Boyhood Home
          & Museum. Check out our website or visit our Faceboo page for more
          information and updates.

          http://www.marktwainmuseum.org/index.php/community-projects/the-village-pariah
          http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/home.php?sk=group_210968188847¬if_t=group_r2j