short fiction book contest: U of Iowa Press

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2007
      The Iowa Short Fiction Award and the
      John Simmons Short Fiction Award
      http://www.uipress.uiowa.edu/authors/iowa-short-fiction.htm

      Eligibility
      Any writer who has not previously published a volume of prose fiction is
      eligible to enter the competition. Previously entered manuscripts that have been
      revised may be resubmitted. Writers are still eligible if they have published a
      volume of poetry or any work in a language other than English or if they have
      self-published a work in a small print run. Writers are still eligible if
      they are living abroad or are non-US citizens writing in English. Current
      University of Iowa students are not eligible.

      Manuscript
      The manuscript must be a collection of short stories in English of at least
      150 word-processed, double-spaced pages. We do not accept e-mail submissions.
      The manuscript may include a cover page, contents page, etc., but these are not
      required. The author’s name can be on every page but this is not required.
      Stories previously published in periodicals are eligible for inclusion. There is
      no reading fee; please do not send cash, checks, or money orders. Reasonable
      care is taken, but we are not responsible for manuscripts lost in the mail or
      for the return of those not accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
      We assume the author retains a copy of the manuscript.

      Publication
      Award-winning manuscripts will be published by the University of Iowa Press
      under the Press’s standard contract.

      Submission
      Manuscripts should be mailed to:
      Iowa Short Fiction Award
      Iowa Writers’ Workshop
      507 North Clinton Street
      102 Dey House
      Iowa City IA 52242-1000
      No application forms are necessary. Entries for the competition should be
      postmarked between August 1 and September 30; packages must be postmarked by
      September 30. Announcement of the winners will be made early in the following
      year.