call for submissions: Poemeleon

    Message 1 of 5 , May 19 11:15 AM
      Poemeleon: A Journal of Poetry

      Call for Submissions: Prime Time Poetry
      http://www.poemeleon.org/submission-guidelines2/

      Prime Time Poetry, like that sweet spot of the television lineup, seeks to connect with its audience, addressing the concerns of ordinary people in the clearest language possible. In some circles this might be called “accessible” poetry, but, to quote Claudia Emerson: “If we care about readers and all (and not just those in the academy), we have to give them a way into the poem.” This is not to say that we are looking for simple poems; in fact, Emerson goes on to say, “[W]e need to remember that clarity does not preclude depth. If our language is precise, our imagery clear, our metaphors original and well crafted, then we can indeed create poems that will reward a listener on being heard for the first time and also replay the astute close reader.”

      We want work that is clear but not simple-minded, that is complex but not indecipherable, that sings, that stands up, that rings true. But, it must work equally as well on the page as on the stage; that is to say, we want the best work out there that represents the various poetries that make up what we are referring to as Prime Time Poetry. Like the proposed anthology by the same name (to see The Plumbline School blogpost about Prime Time Poetry google "modest book proposal norton anthology") we are not looking for one type of poetry, but rather poetry drawn from any number of different poetry communities that have in common a desire to connect with, rather than shut out, potential audiences. Some examples: Charles Harper Webb’s Stand Up Poetry; David Kirby & Barbara Hamby’s Ultra-Talk; R.S. Gwynn’s & Kevin Walzer's Expansive Poetry; The Poets Laureate, who “serve as the nation's official lightning rod for the poetic impulse of Americans”; Performance & Slam Poetry; and Cowboy Poetry.

      If the kind of work that you are doing might fit roughly into one of the above categories, send it on.

      And if you have mp3s and/or videos of you performing your work, include those, too, please.

      All submissions must come through our online submissions system. Please visit the website for complete details & instructions.

      For general questions send a note to editor(at)poemeleon(dot)org.

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2010
        Call for Submissions, Poemeleon: A Journal of Poetry
        http://www.poemeleon.org/guidelines/

        Poemeleon: A Journal of Poetry is now accepting submissions for our
        next issue, Volume V Issue 2, The Open Issue, to be launched June 2011.
        Unlike past issues, The Open Issue is not focused on any one particular
        kind of poetry but instead will strive to include as wide a variety as
        possible. Please send only your best work, any length, any style.

        Deadline for this issue: March 31, 2011
        Expect a response within 1 - 3 months after close of submissions. If
        you have not heard from us after 3 months please inquire.

        The details:
        - Please submit 1 to 5 poems, 1 craft essay, or 1 book review.
        - Please include a brief third-person bio in your cover letter.
        - Simultaneous submissions are fine as long as we are notified promptly
        when work is accepted elsewhere, but please no multiple submissions.
        The only exceptions to this rule is if you are submitting both poems
        and an essay, or both an essay and a book review, or both poems and a
        book review.
        - Previously published is also fine, as long as it was in print, not
        online, and as long as you as the author retain all copyright. Because
        we strive to be the first online publisher of your poem, if it has
        appeared anywhere that is publicly accessible on the web (including on
        your blog) then it is considered previously published. Please feel free
        to contact us and we will provide clarification on a case by case basis.
        - We acquire one-time, non-exclusive rights to publish your work, at
        which time all rights revert back to you as the author. If we should
        ever decide to create a print anthology and would like to include your
        work, we will contact you.
        - Please note that we are a non-paying market.
        - No snail mail submissions. All submissions must come through our
        online submissions manager.

        Please visit the website to read our latest issue, Prime Time Poetry,
        and to upload your submission via our online submission manager:
        http://www.poemeleon.org/guidelines/
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2011
          Poemeleon: A Journal of Poetry is celebrating its 5th year in
          operation!

          We have dubbed our next issue, Volume V Issue 2, The Open Issue,
          scheduled for launch June 2011. Unlike past issues, The Open Issue is
          not focused on any one particular kind of poetry but instead will
          strive to include as wide a variety as possible. Please send only your
          best work, any length, any style.

          Deadline for this issue: March 31, 2011
          Expect a response within 1 - 3 months after close of submissions. If
          you have not heard from us after 3 months please inquire.

          Please visit the website for complete guidelines and a link to our
          submission manager, and while you're there check out our latest issue,
          Prime Time Poetry, featuring the work of Prime Time Poets Tony
          Barnstone, Robert Pinsky, Molly Peacock, Red Shuttleworth, Mark
          Halliday, David Kirby, David Graham, Martha Silano, and many others!

          The Editors
          Cati Porter, Maureen Alsop, Ren Powell, Judy Kronenfeld, and Tom C.
          Hunley