literary contest: New Southerner

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3 9:00 AM
      The 2010 New Southerner Literary Contest is open to previously unpublished poetry, fiction and nonfiction from April 1 through October 1. Although the contest theme is open, we are especially interested in work that relates to our mission, which is promoting self-sufficiency, environmental stewardship and local economies. We are also interested in works by writers with a Southern connection, and works written with a Southern slant or that focus on Southern issues, people and places.
      Contest guidelines at:
      http://www.newsoutherner.com/?page_id=263

      Prizes: $200 for winners of Fiction, Nonfiction and the James Baker Memorial Prize in Poetry; publication in the literary edition; invitation to read at a special event;

      Finalists in all categories receive $15 and publication in the New Southerner Literary Edition;

      Submit fiction and nonfiction up to 5,000 words;
      Submit poems up to 100 lines;
      Contest fee: $10 per entry;

      Multiple entries are accepted;

      Simultaneously submitted entries are accepted as long as you notify us promptly if your work is accepted elsewhere; entry fee is not refundable;

      Postmark deadline: October 1;
      Winners will be notified by November 20;
      Finalists and winning entries will be announced in The New Southerner Literary Edition, available online and in print at www.newsoutherner.com in December.
      Final judges are Sena Jeter Naslund (fiction), Jason Howard (nonfiction) and Jeff Worley (James Baker Hall Memorial Prize in Poetry);
      Easy online submission process.
      To enter, or for more information, go to http://www.newsoutherner.com/?page_id=263.

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 22, 2016
        http://www.newsoutherner.com/contest/

        Entry form:
        http://www.newsoutherner.com/contest/contest-entry-form/

        We're in the final days of our annual literary contest, which awards $200 to top entries in poetry, fiction and nonfiction. Submit your entry electronically today, or send by mail. (See guidelines here: New Southerner Literary Contest) Deadline is September 30.
        Although the contest theme is open, we are especially interested in work that relates to our mission, which is promoting self-sufficiency, environmental stewardship, and local economies. We are also interested in works by writers with a Southern connection, and works written with a Southern slant or that focus on Southern issues, people and places. Winning entries, as well as finalists and semifinalists, are published in The New Southerner Literary Edition, available online and in print.
        • Prizes: $200 for winners of Fiction, Nonfiction, and the James Baker Hall Memorial Prize in Poetry and publication in the literary edition;
        • Contest fee: $10 per entry. One entry is one piece of prose up to 5,000 words or one poem up to 100 lines;
        • Multiple entries are accepted;
        • Simultaneously submitted entries are accepted as long as you notify us promptly if your work is accepted elsewhere; entry fee is not refundable;
        • Winners of first place prizes are not eligible to participate in the same genre in successive years; for example, the 2015 James Baker Hall Memorial Prize recipient is ineligible to participate in the 2016 poetry contest, but is permitted to enter in fiction or nonfiction in 2016. In addition, the 2015 JBH prize winner may participate in the poetry category, or any other category, in 2017.
        • Postmark deadline: September 30;
        • Winners will be notified by October 31;
        • Finalists and winning entries will be announced in The New Southerner Literary Edition, available online and in print in December.
        • New Southerner reserves the right not to select a winner in any category if a suitable entry cannot be found.
        JUDGING
        New Southerner editors and advisory board members select the top five entries in each category. Final judges select winning entries. This year's final judges are Mary Ann Taylor-Hall, Mary Popham, and Bobbi Buchanan.