poetry and fiction contests: Copper Nickel

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2010
      Copper Nickel is pleased to announce its first-ever contests in poetry and fiction.
      The poetry contest will be judged by Natasha Trethewey, Pulitzer-Prize Winning author of Native Guard. The winner will receive $1000 and publication in Copper Nickel 15 in Spring 2011.
      The fiction contest will be judged by Ron Carlson, author of At the Jim Bridger. The winner will receive $1000 and publication in Copper Nickel 15 in Spring 2011.
      The contest is open to anyone. Writers may submit either one story or up to three poems with an entry fee of $15.
      Each author will receive a one-year subscription to Copper Nickel with each entry.
      We will begin accepting entries on March 15th and will continue to accept entries until May 15th.
      Finalists will be announced June 15th, winners by August 15th.

      HOW TO SUBMIT
      Step One: submit your manuscript using our submission manager system, accessible here: http://www.copper-nickel.org/contest/smgr/index.php.
      Even if you have submitted to Copper Nickel before, you will have to re-register to submit to the contest. This only takes about 2 minutes, and it ensures your manuscript will not be lost.
      Step Two: Once you've submitted your manuscript via Submission Manger, you will need to mail your entry fee, as a check or money order made payable to "University of Colorado," to us here:

      Copper Nickel
      Campus Box 175
      P O Box 173364
      Denver CO 80217-3364

      Please write the title/s of your entry on the memo line of your check.

      We will discard entries without associated entry fees on May 30, 2010.

      Who will be vetting the entries? The faculty editors of Copper Nickel, including Brian Barker, Nicky Beer, Jennifer S. Davis, and Jake Adam York, will select the pool of finalists.
      How many finalists will be named? Approximately 10-15 in each genre.
      Can I submit more than one entry? Certainly. Additional entries are welcome, each with its own entry fee.
      When must my entry fee arrive? As long as it's postmarked by May 15th, all is well. We will conduct an internal audit on May 24th and inform any author whose entry fee has not arrived.

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2012
        Copper Nickel is pleased to announce its third annual contests in poetry and fiction.
        Contest submissions entry portal:
        http://www.copper-nickel.org/contest/smgr/
        The submission window for entries opens on February 21 and closes on April 21, 2012.
        The poetry contest will be judged by Paisley Rekdal, author of The Invention of the Kaleidoscope. The winner will receive $1000 and publication in Copper Nickel 18 in Fall 2012.
        The fiction contest will be judged by Kevin Wilson, author of The Family Fang. The winner will receive $1000 and publication in Copper Nickel 18 in Fall 2012.
        The contest is open to anyone. Writers may submit either one story (no word limit) or up to three poems with an entry fee. Each entrant also receives a one year subscription toCopper Nickel with each entry. For writers living in the United States or Canada the fee is $15US.
        Writers living outside the US or Canada, please contact us via e-mail at element29[at]copper-nickel[dot]org for a fee schedule and alternative payment methods.

        HOW TO SUBMIT
        Tendering your manuscript: submit your manuscript using our submission manager system (please note this is a different portal from our normal submission manager portal). http://www.copper-nickel.org/contest/smgr/index.php
        Even if you have submitted to Copper Nickel before, you will have to re-register to submit to the contest. This only takes about 2 minutes, and it ensures your manuscript will not be lost.
        Tendering your entry fee. We prefer that you submit your payment via Paypal, which you may do at

        http://www.copper-nickel.org/contest/

        But you may also pay by check or money order payable to "University of Colorado," and mailed, with the title of your entry on the memo line, to us here:

        Department of English
        ATTN: Copper Nickel
        Campus Box 175
        P O Box 173364
        Denver CO 80217-3364

        We will discard entries without associated entry fees on April 30, 2012.

        Who will be vetting the entries? The faculty editors of Copper Nickel, including Brian Barker, Nicky Beer, Jennifer S. Davis, and Jake Adam York, will select the pool of finalists.
        How many finalists will be named? Approximately 10-15 in each genre.
        Can I submit more than one entry? Certainly. Additional entries are welcome, each with its own entry fee. If you submit more than one entry, we will simply extend your subscription, unless you direct us to send the additional subscriptions elsewhere.
        Are there word or page limits for stories? No.
        When must my entry fee arrive? As long as it's postmarked by April 21st, all is well. We will conduct an internal audit on April 25th and inform any author whose entry fee has not arrived.