call for submissions: "animals" issue of Creative Nonfiction

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2010
      Call for Submissions: Creative Nonfiction
      http://www.creativenonfiction.org/thejournal/submittocnf.htm

      ISSUE THEME and CONTEST: Animals

      postmark deadline April 2, 2010

      For an upcoming issue, we're seeking new essays about the bonds--emotional, ethical, biological, physical, or otherwise--between humans and animals. We're looking for stories that illustrate ways animals (wild and/or domestic) affect, enrich, or otherwise have an impact on our daily lives.
      Essays must be vivid and dramatic; they should combine a strong and compelling narrative with a significant element of research or information, and reach for some universal or deeper meaning in personal experiences. We’re looking for well-written prose, rich with detail and a distinctive voice.
      PRIZES:

      $1000 - The Robert Fragasso Animal Advocate Award

      For the Best Creative Nonfiction Essay About Animals

      $500 - Creative Nonfiction Editor's Award

      Guidelines: Essays must be: unpublished, 5,000 words or less, postmarked by April 2, 2010, and clearly marked “Animals” on both the essay and the outside of the envelope. There is a $20 reading fee (or send a reading fee of $25 to include a 4-issue CNF subscription); multiple entries are welcome ($20/essay) as are entries from outside the U.S. (though subscription shipping costs do apply). Please send manuscript, accompanied by a cover letter with complete contact information, SASE and payment to:

      Creative Nonfiction

      Attn: Animals

      5501 Walnut Street, Suite 202

      Pittsburgh, PA 15232