poetry and prose contest: New South
- The 2010 New South Writing Contest Guidelines
Poetry Prize, judged by Robert Wrigley
First Place: $1000
Second Place: $250
Prose Prize, judged by Kim Barnes
First Place: $1000
Second Place: $250
Deadline: All entries must be postmarked by March 4, 2010
Reading Fee: $15.00 per entry
Each entry must include the following:
A check or money order (NO CASH) made payable to GSU (or Georgia State University) for fifteen dollars ($15). Entry fee includes a copy of the Spring / Summer 2009 issue, which will contain the winning entries.
A cover letter with a 3- to 4-line bio, title(s) of the work submitted, and your name, mailing address, phone number, and email address.
Address poetry submissions to James Thomas Miller, Poetry Editor.
Poems must be typed.
Submit up to three (3) poems per $15 Reading Fee.
All poems must have name, address, phone, and e-mail appearing on each page.
Address fiction and non-fiction submissions to Peter Fontaine, Prose Editor.
Manuscripts must be typed.
Include name, address, phone, email, & word count on the first page of the manuscript only.
Short-short stories are welcome.
Submit one (1) story or essay per $15 Reading Fee.
While we take the greatest care in handling your entries, we assume no responsibility for lost or damaged manuscripts. Only unpublished work considered. Simultaneous submissions considered with notification. All rights revert to author after publication. Current students, staff, and faculty at Georgia State University are not eligible.
New South publishes quality literary art promoting the work of emerging and established writers. New South holds no subject biases. The staff will select the best work regardless of style or genre.
Send all work to the appropriate editor:
New South/Writing Contest
Campus Box 1894
Georgia State University
MSC 8R0322 Unit 8
Atlanta, Georgia 30303-3083
- The 2015 New South Writing Contest will be be judged by Roger Reeves in the genre of poetry and Rebecca Makkai in the genre of prose. The contest awards $1,000 to one winner in poetry and one winner in prose, and a $250 runner's up prize in each category. Please take care that you are submitting under the contest genre; regular submissions received during the contest period WILL NOT be entered into the contest. Your $15 entry fee also includes a one-year subscription to New South. You may submit electronically via Submittable ONLY. All paper mailed entries will be destroyed.Submittable link:https://newsouth.submittable.com/submit/38181Each entry must include:1) A reading fee of fifteen dollars ($15). Entry fee includes a one year subscription to the journal!2) The submitter's contact info, including a mailing address for your subscription. (Do not include any identifying information in the manuscript).POETRY
- Submit up to three (3) poems per document.
OTHER DETAILS:While we take the greatest care in handling your entries, we assume no responsibility for lost manuscripts. Only unpublished work will be considered, and only writers who have not published a book of prose or poetry are eligible. Simultaneous submissions will be considered with notification. All rights revert to author after publication. Current students, staff, and faculty at Georgia State University are not eligible.New South publishes quality literary art promoting the work of emerging and established writers. New South holds no subject biases. The staff will select the best work regardless of style or genre. The final round of judging will be anonymous (the names will be removed from the manuscripts before the final judges see the entries). Judges from outside the staff will pick the winners from finalists selected by the New South staff.
- Non-fiction is welcomed and encouraged.
- Submit one (1) short story or non-fiction piece per $15 Reading Fee.
- Please limit your submissions to 9,000 words.